Ch. 243 and Ch. 244

Start from the beginning

The moment she got back to the second branch, Miss Yuan hugged her mother's leg and began to complain.

Second Madam only had this one precious daughter, so she naturally thought of Miss Yuan first in all things. She had a pretty good impression of Xiao Bojian as well, so her heart softened when her daughter pleaded with her.

When Miss Yuan saw that she had a chance, she continued to hug and cajole her mother, asking her to persuade Grandmother to let her marry Xiao Bojian instead.

Things weren't set in stone yet; only their family knew about Miss Su's engagement so far.

Hadn't Chu Lian been sent to House Jing'an because Miss Su had fallen sick that time? If Grandmother couldn't be convinced, then couldn't she just have Miss Su fall sick again?

Back in Liangzhou and Su City, worries over the war had dampened the festive spirits of the residents.

He Changdi stood before his tent and looked up at the grey sky. It was already dusk. Night would be falling soon.

Time was trickling slowly, second by second, towards Xiao Bojian's deadline.

He turned to the direction of the commander's tent, only to see Xiao Bojian slowly walking towards him with that same guard next to him.

Suddenly, He Sanlang's slightly slanted eyes narrowed as his frozen features broke out into a faint smile.

Xiao Bojian hadn't even taken more than two steps when a soldier came running from behind and requested his presence.

His leisurely, relaxed expression turned gloomy. Like a monster ready to swallow the soldier alive, Xiao Bojian exclaimed, "What did you say?! The Min Family army is here?!"

The soldier shrunk into himself and nodded, not daring to say anything at all.

Xiao Bojian ground his teeth hard. He shot a cold glare towards He Changdi's tent and just so happened to catch the sight of He Changdi standing in front, back straight and hands behind his back. Although there was still a distance between them, their gazes seemed to clash in midair, sending imaginary sparks flying.

It was as if a thunderclap had split the cloudy skies.

The Min army was responsible for guarding the border running along the Min River, and there were thirty thousand soldiers serving in it. The commander of the Min army was an old comrade of Count Jing'an. At the same time, he was also a subordinate of Prince Jin.

Zhang Mai and Xiao Hongyu had gotten the news as well. They rushed out from the tent and bumped fists with He Changdi. Zhang Mai lamented, "Zixiang, if you hadn't taken precautions and sent Leader Mo's group away when we entered the city, the Min army wouldn't have been able to rush here in time."

In his previous life, He Changdi had experienced the fickle nature of humans, as well betrayal from those he once trusted. How could he remain the same naive fool as before? Of course he had a contingency plan when it came to something as important as the lives of his comrades.

Within an hour, He Changdi and his party had been invited to the commander's tent.

Great General Min was seated at the same level as Yuan Zhong. There were only about thirty thousand men in Yuan Zhong's northwestern army. With the Hunan troops added in to this temporary army, they only numbered fifty thousand. Although the Min army only had about thirty thousand men, their weapons and equipment were of much better quality than those of the northwestern army. If they were to face off in a battle, the northwestern army wouldn't be a match for the Min army.

The northwestern army's mix of Hunan troops served detrimental in this case. If it really came down to a fight, the Hunan troops might take advantage of the confusion for their own benefit. Yuan Zhong hadn't climbed up to this position by being stupid. He could only lament that He Changdi had been too thorough and careful in his actions. He and Xiao Bojian had been too careless.