Chapter 36: The Wardrobe Seems Possessed

Start from the beginning

"The charm that repels a boggart is simple, yet it requires force of mind. You see, the thing that really finishes a boggart is laughter. What you need to do is force it to assume a shape that you find amusing.

"We will practice the charm without wands first. After me, please . . . riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" said the class together.

"Good," said Professor Lupin. "Very good. But that was the easy part, I'm afraid. You see, the word alone is not enough. And this is where you come in, Neville."(- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Page 134) 

Neville stepped up first after Harry pushed his shoulder against his friends lightly, offering silent support that he was there to help Neville if need be.

Neville looked back and grinned at Harry gratefully before stepping toward Professor Lupin.

He answered the man's question about what feared his most (Professor Snape to Harry's surprise) and then answered the Professors' questions about what his grandmother might possibly wear.

Harry quickly realized what the Professor was trying to do and hide a grin. Yes, Harry suppose Snape wearing Grandma clothing wouldn't be scary to Neville, the image itself almost made Harry start snickering.

With everyone thinking about what their fears were, Harry went toward the middle of the line right behind Draco but in front of Daphne.

"What do you think your fear is?" Draco whispered as the line started getting smaller.

"I don't know," Harry said thoughtfully not noticing the slight surprise on the teachers face (who though Harry's biggest fear would've been Voldemort).

By the time it was Harry's turn, he was actually curious to know what his fear would be. As he stepped forward quickly, he felt the air turn cold and the same feeling from the train entered the room.

Though, Harry could feel the slight difference, like a mimic in magic. Steeling himself up, and feeling Regina and Lunar's own magical core surround his to starve off the cold magic, Harry pictured the Dementor that had come out of the closet in a Hello Kitty Shirt with a I <3 NY hat and a teddy doll that had I'm with Stupid on a shirt pointing to the person holding the teddy.

"Riddikulus!" Harry shouted smoothly and with false confidence.

But for what his confidence lacked, his magic helped smooth out the spell and watched it connect to the Dementor and watched the change take effect. The dark suffocating magic seemed to lift as the Dementor wore the outfit that Harry had graced it with.

Quickly he moved aside and allowed Daphne to take his spot. Watching the Dementor morph into a younger girl that had similar characteristics of Daphne but seemed to be very ill, probably near death.

Daphne, who was pale at seeing her Dementor, seemed to fall behind her mask once more and squared her shoulders before saying the spell.

Spell after spell until the last person went, until the last person went and Lupin walked forward to deliver the last confusing Riddikulus and powered it to make the boggart explode from being too confused and shifting too much.

Harry felt a bit remorse as tiny wisps of smoke floated around them. He wondered briefly if Boggart's were misunderstood but knew that he couldn't do much about it now.

"Very well, everyone, an excellent lesson. Homework, kindly read the chapter on boggarts and summarize it for me . . . to be handed in on Monday. That will be all."

Talking excitedly, the class left the staffroom.(- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Page 139) 

"Harry, can you stay back please?" Professor Lupin's voice asked through the crowd of students leaving the staffroom.