Night 3

NO is the first to rise out of the remaining killers. They slip out into the night air, a few howls resonating through the air, closer than they have ever heard. How many are out there? How many are waiting for easy prey?

NO, on the other hand doesn't want easy prey. Their prey will already be awake, waiting until their alarm goes off for the night. You see, they figured it out. They wanted that prize.

They move without thought. The melody is still in their head. A sad tribute to the deaths. Still there. They could hear the piano resonate throughout the entire sector. Everyone heard it. Everyone felt it.

They grit their teeth.

Don't make me feel for them.

The door creaks open.

The piano is still playing.

Instruments litter the floor.

A bloody violin bow lays at the foot of the bed. The end is sharpened, wood shavings on the ground. Pieces of hair and skin stick between the strings.

So that's what she used.

"Are you here for me?"

NO stares at their victim wordlessly, knife in hand. The victim's eyes dart to the weapon.

"A knife? That's all? At least I was creative with mine," she says, depression like a stain on each syllable. On a sigh, she stands and turns toward the killer. "One request. Show me your face."

NO hesitates, but not from uncertainty. One request. Reasonable enough.

They remove their mask, and the victim's eyes flatten, losing their shine as tears break over her eyelashes.

"I thought so," she whispers. Sniffling and wiping her eyes, she shakes her head and takes a deep breath. Standing upright, she nods. "Okay. I'm ready."

The killer nods and walks forward.

"Tell everyone I'm sorry... sorry for Kora. Sorry for John. I'm... so sorry."

The killer strikes, mask off.

Erin, a killer, is dead.

+ + +

The first doctor, DO makes their way out into the night, hearing some shuffling. Footsteps echo around the complexes, sounding like sprinting. DO's heartrate increases and they rush toward the sound to maybe help, but stop cold as they see a person standing at the bottom of the stairs, panting. They're dressed in all black, something inside their fully black clothing to mask their body size, making them look frumpy and strange and disfigured. The mask is what's startling.

It looks mostly like a cat, whiskers poking out of the sides and big eyes, glowing in the moonlight, appear to be staring into DO, sending chills down their spine. The mouth of the mask pokes out like a muzzle, much like a dog, and the teeth jut out from the upper lip, glinting in the moonlight. Cat ears stick up from either side, almost seeming alive in the milky light from above. But of course... no mask could move on its own like that. It's only a trick of the light.

"Are you—are you the killer?" DO asks, hoping the person can't see too well through the mask.

The person hesitates before tearing away. DO, for whatever reason—call it conviction—follows. The masked person opens a door and sprints through it, a scream ripping through the apartment. By the time DO reaches the bedroom, winded and weak and exhausted, the killer is gone; they disappeared out the window. DO can't even see any movement or figures from where they stand.

They can, however, hear Tani whimpering in her closet.

"Please—please don't," she begs, terror filling her. "Please... I still have things I have to do!"

"It's okay," DO calls, lowering their voice an octave to mask what they actually sound like. Who knows who the killers are? If that was one... and if Venus said there were multiple... who knows who could be the others? "You're safe, Tani."

DT, the second doctor comes knocking on the door to see what the ruckus was.

"Everything's alright," DO calls through the door.

"Are you sure?" DT calls, worries high.

"Yes," DO reassures. "Go back to sleep."

DT eventually returns to their room, sure that Tani and the other doctor are safe. But... they can't help the twist in their gut.

DO leaves, unable to sleep as adrenaline rushes through them.

The killer was within reach. But if they were within arm's length of DO... what would they have done? Nothing? Kill them just as they had others?

Their brain throbs.

They won't be getting any sleep tonight unless it violently takes over their consciousness.

Tani is double safe.

But she cannot fall asleep. Not like this.

+ + +

NT is dead. N3 is dead. That gives NF half an hour to do their deed. It gave NO half an hour to do theirs.

Easy. An easy kill. Someone too quiet, too far from the reaches of their circles. Someone they never talk to, someone who never talks.

They wipe their sweaty palms on the spandex they wear, a full body suit. It has lumps in it to disguise their figure in case anyone sees them.

They can still feel the warm blood of Charlie as it cooled from the first night. They can still hear May's screams as they finished them off. They can see Sam keeling over from the drink they poisoned earlier in the day. The deaths weigh on them. Yet they still push on.

Howls further down, closer than ever. Scuffling in the graveyard.

They have to make this fast.

Fast.

In and out.

No emotions.

Can't... can't feel to do this.

In the house.

A quick snap of the neck.

Out.

Glowing eyes in the distance. Danger.

Home.

Tears flow.

Anne has left this world.