Prologue: Deal?

Eli Goldsworthy and Clare Edwards were laying in a tent in Clare's back yard, it was around midnight they were still up watching movies on Eli's laptop. It was the last day of summer, and Clare was about to go into grade nine, Eli would start grade ten. Both kids were happy to be together at school again as they were inseparable, you never saw one without the other. It had been hard on both to be apart for so long. Clare turned looked over at her best friend and smiled they were going to be together at school again she had missed him this year. Eli stuck out his tongue out at her, Why are you looking at me Edwards?'' He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. ''Do you want this?'' He gave her one of his cocky smiles. ''I KNOW you think i'm hot like every other girl at school!'' Clare rolled her eyes there was one girl who had a crush on Eli and, that was it. She didn't say any thing and Eli shoved her playfully. ''Oh my GOD you do!'' he Joked. Eli knew she didn't already, and she knew he had no feelings of love for her besides in a brother sister way. They had made it clear to everyone that there was noting romantic between them. She crossed her arms and gave him a fake pout.

''Shut UP! I do not, and you know it!'' He raised an eyebrow at her as she punched him in the shoulder, she knew that her punches never hurt because Eli never failed to tell her they didn't. Sure enough he only rolled his eyes and began to eat popcorn. he saw she was still glaring at him and he put his arm around her and gave her a smile. She could never stay mad at him when he did that and that's why he did it whenever she was mad at him.

''Chill out Clare, I'm joking, but you know Imogen wants me!'' Clare rolled her eyes, the girl was always stalking Eli. She and Clare did not get along at all. Eli didn't mind her, however he avoided her at school because he didn't know how to reject her. She giggled at his smile he was so full of himself when he wanted to be.

''Could you be more smug?'' She asked raising her eyebrows at him. Eli put his hands to his chest jokingly.

''Absolutely!'' This was one of their many inside jokes, Clare said this whenever she thought Eli was being cocky and he always answered like that. Clare turned back to the laptop as sighed as Bella and Edward began to kiss, Eli had grudgingly agreed to watch Twilight with her. Not without sarcastic comments every two seconds. He rolled his eyes as Clare began to tear up. ''Clare, you've seen this 40 million times and you always cry at this part!'' Clare scowled at Eli punching him in the shoulder as hard as she could.

''Its called having emotions Eli.'' She snapped. They had this fight whenever Clare got him to watch Twilight. Eli rolled his eyes at her. She reached over and socked him in the arm again. ''You're a jerk''. Eli rolled his eyes again at her weak insult Clare never cussed ever.

''You hit Like a girl''. Clare swore Eli thought she was a guy, and she wasn't even a Tomboy although she wasn't like any other girl in her Class. She always did her homework, she got straight As and liked to read at lunch. She had braces and Glasses she hated both. Clare was you're everyday geek she hated the way she looked, but Eli would always tell her she was beautiful. However, she hated it when he forgot she was a girl.

''I AM a girl you tweeb''. She chucked a handful of popcorn at him, Eli snickered and sat up and threw his pillow over her face making her scream. To them gender had never mattered, Eli and Clare had always treated one another differently from anyone else in their lives anyway. Everyone could tell that the two of them were best friends, you would even think they were a couple if you didn't know them well. Eli and Clare knew this because it always happened to them whenever they hung out at the park.

''How could I forget?'' He reached over and wiped a tear from her eyes, and she glared at him and, smacked his arm away. He smirked at her and they laid down together in their sleeping bags as the the movie played. ''You cry like one at every movie we've ever watched''. Eli and Clare had a bond that they shared with no one else in the world, and they liked it that way. Clare hated to think of any girl being as close or God forbid closer to Eli then her. In fact it was even weird to think of Eli having a girlfriend, she didn't like to think about having to share Eli with another girl.