"Why didn't you kiss her? She clearly likes you," Bucky pointed out, leaning forward. Steve stared straight ahead for a moment, then started the car. He looked into the rear view mirror, straight at me, his eyes shining, and the corner of his lips turned up slightly.

"I'm waiting for the right partner," he said, without a stutter or a tremble in his voice. His eyes were on me, focused, taking in every line and every crack. I felt the tips of my ears burn scarlet, and I looked down at my stiff hands. Surely, he wasn't talking about me? It was fake, a delusion, it had to be. But Steve wasn't the kind of guy to do that. He would never lead me on, lead anyone on. So maybe, just maybe, there was a small chance he felt the same way about me, that I felt about him?

Bucky was staring in awe and admiration from out of the corner of my eyes, and as Steve drove out of the underpass he nudged me.

"Do you...?" He whispered, his eyes flickering to Steve. I nodded, the tiniest nod I could manage. Bucky smiled a little, a smile that even so small could light up a room.

"That's good. I'm glad it's you," he said quietly, and for some reason I was compelled to reach out and touch his hand, just gently, a small gesture of gratitude. He tensed, but I didn't pull away. Instead, I looked into his eyes, and in an instant, there was a spark, a connection, a mutual understanding of each other and I knew for sure that Bucky did not kill my father, that he was kind and gentle and brave, and I was willing to do anything to protect him, because he was a victim, not a villain.

***

Steve drove through the Halle airport car park and parked the Mini a few spaces away from a large grey van. He opened his door and got out, and after a few seconds Sam pulled the front seat forward and let Bucky and I out, my knees cramped and stiff. The tinted door of the van opened and out stepped Clint, a familiar face I hadn't seen for a long time. Beside him was Wanda, her face hard and determined. I rolled my wrists, feeling a comforting and satisfying click in the joints, and joined Steve where he stood.

"Cap," Clint greeted. He looked over at me. "Keight." I nodded and did a little wave.

"You know I wouldn't have called if I had any other choice," Steve said apologetically. Clint waved him off.

"Hey man, you're doing me a favour. Besides, I owe a debt," he said.

"Thanks for having my back," Steve said gratefully, to both Clint and Wanda. Wanda shrugged.

"It was time to get off my ass," she said, and I smiled at her. She had grown up so much in the two years she had been with us, and although I still had a slight resentment towards her for how she played with my mind, she was kind and sweet and strong.

"How about our other recruit?" Steve nodded towards the van. I supressed a laugh, for Sam's sake.

"He's rarin' to go. Had to put a little coffee in him but...he should be good," Clint grinned and swung open the sliding door of the van. As soon as the door clicked open the figure lying on the seat sprang up, his dark hair tousled and his strangely alluring amber eyes wide. His eyes roamed over us, and he almost buzzed with fanboy energy.

"What timezone is this?" he asked, gripping the seat with one hand.

"Come on, come on," Clint urged him out of the van. He jumped steadily out, and Steve held out a hand. The man took it immediately, a look of pure amazement on his handsome face.

"Captain America," he said in awe.

"Mr Lang," Steve smiled.

"Call me Scott. It's an honour. I'm shaking your hand too long," Scott let go, his body bubbling with excitement. "Wow! This is awesome! Captain America!" he turned and spotted Wanda. "I know you too! You're great!" Wanda smiled, and a pink tint spread over her cheeks. Scott turned back to Steve and grabbed his shoulder, and his eyes widened in surprise and awe of the firm muscle I know he felt underneath. "Jeez. Ah look, I wanna say, I know you know a lot of super people so...thanks for thinking of me."