11| porch

The car ride to Tony's house was awkward

The car ride to Tony's house was awkward. In the back sat Scott and myself, Rhodey insisting that I go in his place instead. I begged him to come along. I really didn't feel ready to see Tony again, even after all this time. Rhodey stayed home (sadly), and now I am stuck in this awkward situation. 

Scott kept fumbling with his jacket and mumbling things to himself. I felt the smallest buds of pity rising in me. The man was gone for five years but to him, it felt like five hours. The world was completely changed and he was left in the past. Natasha sat in the front seat, staring intently in her lap as her once well-guarded eyes flashed with millions of thoughts zooming through her head.

"Does Tony even know we are coming?" My voice sounded really loud in the silence and I cringed back a little bit. Everyone stayed silent and affirmed my already formed answer. A big fat no. "Is this a good idea then?" Steve only sighed in response and shook his head while continuing down the road.

"We can't just sit back and do nothing when we have the tiniest shot at a chance." Steve's voice dropped to a whisper and I looked at Nat to see here swallowing a heavy lump in her throat. The air turned heavy and I fingered the cuffs on my sweatshirt.

"I never said that we should sit back," I mumbled. "I just mean that we shouldn't involve Tony in this." Scott turned to stare at me and I glared at him. "What? He built a life for himself. Who are we to take that away?"

"Thanos took away billions of people's families. Including his own," I swallowed heavily and I glared at my pants. The ache for Thanos still burned in me and I wanted to turn to Scott and wring-

"You don't think I know that?" I bit out, my voice barely above a whisper. "I'm not stupid or a child."

Scott scoffed a little bit and turned his body to face mine. "You are a child, what are you talking about?" 

"I'm not a child. I'm twenty-two-" Scott cut me off.

"Exactly, a child," He had a smug look on his face and crossed his arms across his chest.

"At least I don't act like a child." His glare deepened and he turned to open his mouth before Steve cut in

"Scott, that's enough." Steve's voice cut through the car and we all fell silent. 

The rest of the ride was awkward.

...

Steve pulled the car into the driveway and a lake house appeared into our view. This didn't exactly look like a Stark quality home. The house was made of wood and was huge. There was a large porch wrapped around the house and a lake sitting behind it. It was beautiful. 

I pulled off my seatbelt and we all exited the car. I stood up and looked around before locking eyes with Tony. In his arms was a small girl with dark brown hair and a curious look on her face.