3| woods

I curled my fist trying to hold in my cry of disbelief

I curled my fist trying to hold in my cry of disbelief. My father's body was lying on the floor, completely dead. The Avengers were just standing there. Doing absolutely nothing after they just murdered my father in front of me.

"What," someone said, "what did you do?" The voice held disbelief and I started to shake. I don't know if it was from fear or anger.

"I went for the head," a sad voice said. The voice sounded familiar and my heart clenched painfully. I looked around outside, trying to find a place to run to before they caught me. Footsteps came for the door and I took my chance to run for it. After all, my father did say to run if they came. And they did.

I sprinted down the Garden pathway. My hair was flying behind me and I was kicking up a whole bunch of dust as I ran. I took one look back and saw a man in a red cape coming down the stairs. I stumbled a little bit and I turned back towards him. He locked eyes with me and his entire body stopped.

"Adira?" my head pounded. That's not my name. 

I kept going and the man sounded like he was calling for someone. I found the shed and took a break, stopping to stand behind it. I heard shouting and I peered around the corner, my breathing extremely labored as I did.

The man in the star suit was looking around with the man in the cape. A girl with long blonde hair was standing next to them, also looking around. I looked down at my scarred hands and saw myself shaking hard, my entire body quivering as the Avengers looked for me. 

I can't let them get me.

I took off back towards the woods that surrounded the Garden. They were a good over, a place that Father told me to go because they wouldn't be able to see me. He promised that the trees were tall and high enough that the Avengers couldn't come through.

Too bad he lied. 

About five seconds after I stumbled into the woods, the blonde haired woman in the suit came from the sky and dropped right in front of me. Her face was stern, looking as though she was going to scold me for something.

I stumbled backward but tripped and fell on the ground. 

She stood over me and narrowed her eyes. "I've got eyes on her," she said, her voice low. I wanted to puke as she stared at me. The fear felt never-ending and I watched her with wide eyes, tracking every move she made. She took a step towards me and I crawled backward, wanting nothing more than to put more space between the two of us.

"Calm down," she said, looking at me with a little bit of confusion. I stopped immediately and pulled my knees up to my chin.

The Avengers are here. All the stories my father had told me about these people had been leading to this. Did he know that they were coming? I have to get away from them, I need to keep the balance. My father said that they will do anything to bring those people back, they will do anything in their power to create something for these dead people.