Chapter 42 - One...Last...Chance

Flying into the air, I begin attacking as many of those in Thanos' army I can. Mom flies by in her own suit and I smirk while ripping out the heart of one of the beasts. Lightning cascades across the sky from both Thor's hammer and the same girl I saw from the portal. Peter lands beside me and fights while more and more seem to pour out. I hear him activate instant kill and my eyes widen.

I finally have enough of the tedious back and forth hits, so I gather all of the force I had and tear them all to shreds in one shot.

"Holy shit!" Peter exclaims. I simply smirk before Peter is dragged away by Mjilnor.

I continue to fight for what feels like hours when more chaos erupts. Doubts fill my mind but I quickly push them away as I rush back into the fight. After a few minutes of fighting, I see something out of the corner of my eye.

Turning in its direction, I see Wanda holding Thanos in the air, obviously squishing him with her immense power. His lips move still and on instinct, I knew this can't be good. Looking up, I see small cone-like bombs launch from the ship and head straight towards us. 

"Take cover!" I yell to no one in particular.

As everyone around me flees to some sort of protection, a certain someone catches my eye who doesn't. With the gauntlet in hand, Peter tries to outrun the combustibles. Knowing he won't make it, I speak into the comms.

"Dad I need a lift!" I say while running in his direction. Suddenly, a pair of arms lift me from the ground and flies me to Peter while dodging multiple bombs already hitting us. 

Dad drops me in the nick of time and I land as gracefully as possible. Then, I dive into the hole where Peter now is and hold onto him. I fade both of us, including the gauntlet until the bombs suddenly stop. 

When I look up, I see a glowing figure obliterate Thanos' ship, making it useless against us. It lands next to us and the light slowly dims to reveal a woman with a pixie style hair cut and a confident look on her face. I slowly get up and take a deep breath, thankful for the short break we now have. 

"H-hi," I hear Peter say while still clutching to the gauntlet. "I'm Peter. Peter Parker."

"Hey Peter Parker," she says, "I see you've got something for me."

Peter slowly gives her the gauntlet as I stand up. What remains of Thanos' army now charges towards us with no intentions of stopping. 

"I don't know how you're gonna get this through all of that," Peter admits. 

From the corner of my eye, I see all of the woman now fighting with us stand around us, ready to fight. With a smirk on my face, I say:

"Don't worry." 

"She has help." Okoye finishes. 

Together, we all run into the army and fight them. The glowing lady makes it through all of the fighting and debris and almost makes it to the portal. But Thanos sees her and destroys the portal with his weapon, causing a massive explosion. The gauntlet goes flying. Cap and Thor try to keep Thanos occupied so that he cannot grab the gauntlet but their efforts prove futile. The glowing lady returns as tries to do the same as Cap and Thor. Thanos grabs the gauntlet. But then her efforts prove to be futile as well...  

As I sneak towards the fight,  Thanos throws away the glowing girl. I watch as the girl with black hair suddenly sneaks up behind him and shocks him. He quickly back hands her, which sends her flying but she comes back for more. Her tan skin goes bright, so bright that it's hard for me to keep looking. She sends a beam of light towards Thanos, causing him to scream in pain. While he looks away, she tries to pry open his gauntlet and grab the power stone. He quickly catches on, using it to blast her away and into a wall, rendering her unconscious. 

He has all the stones and it's now or never. With my hands glowing once more, I lift myself off the ground and propel myself towards him. Once I'm close enough, I use the force behind my push to kick him straight across the face. He groans in pain and tries to grab onto my foot, but I've already faded right through him. From behind, I bury a knife deep in his neck and the same deep groan emits from him. I use his pain as a distraction and pry all the stones from the gauntlet using my powers. Just as they land in my hand, he grabs onto my neck and throws me away, my body colliding with a nearby chunk of debris.

Thanos quickly snaps his fingers after tossing me, only for nothing to happen.

Shakily standing from the rock, I float all of the stones into the left part of my glove, the nanobots accommodating them. The immense power overwhelms my body and I scream in pain.

"Erin Stark don't you dare!" I hear Dad yell into the comms as he lands not too far away from me.

"I'm the only one who can do this and I refuse to let you die being the hero," I say with small whimpers in between.

"The same goes for you," Dad replies with a quiver in his voice.

"I can take it."

With heavy breaths and a steady hand, I stand up and face Thanos one last time. And as I do, memories and voices flood my mind.

"Your Dad never died."

"Who is he?"

"You're looking right at him, Bitsy."

"...your powers are not something people are afraid of. Instead, they are something people marvel at."

"It takes a lot for a person to change as fast as you did, especially with your history. I believe that there has always been a shred of good in you and you've finally found it. That's why I trust you."

"I'm right here, Dad. I'm not going anywhere."

"I have to side with the people."

"I love you, Erin Stark."

"And I love you, Peter Parker."

"You have shown your loyalty and alliance with Wakanda and it's people. You are one of us now. So join us."

"I wish your sister lived to see you. She would have been so happy to meet you, to hold you. But I will tell you about her every day. How brave she was. How loving and sweet she would be. And she will always live on in your name Morgan. Morgan Erin Stark."

Erin Stark.

My focus returns on Thanos and an unknown feeling fills me to the brim. With a deadly glare aimed his way, I stand tall.

"What do you Starks not understand? I...am...inevitable," he states.

"And I...am..."

I take a deep breath in.

"Fade."

With my final words, I snap my fingers.

- THE END -