Chapter 20 - Strong and Kind

Last chapter: After Paya and Zirin had found a horse, Zelda remembers how she got her horse, Daisy. Link comforts her, and apologizes. They head back to Kakariko Village, wanting to make their journey shorter by not following the roads. Along the way Link faces a member of the Yiga Clan in battle.

Zelda's P.O.V~

As we continue down the path full of intimidating cliffs, Paya still clinging to Zirins back, she asks, "Before we.... b-bumped into that Yiga, what was down the other road?" As she asked, I could see her grip around Zirin get tighter. His face was pink and had a small grin at the same time.

I answer Paya almost immediately, reminded of the times I tried to unlock my sealing power.

"A long path that lies over a lake, full of monsters. Then when you finally reach the end a Lynel-." I was cut off by Zirin and Paya when they yelled, "A LYNEL?!"

"I heard it was a terrible beast that ate children!" Paya shrieked.

"I heard it ripped your insides out if it sees you anywhere near it's territory!" Zirin said, with an almost curious but scared look.

"Um - I've never fought one, but they don't seem to do either of those things... it is a vicious beast though."
I continue,
"Anyway... next to the Lynel is the Purifier Lake, and Mount Lanayru lay right in front of your eyes! And at the top, ... is the Spring of Wisdom."

Everyone seemed to notice my voice turn from a cheery excitement to a hateful scowl.

Surprisingly, no one said anything.

The path slowly got bigger, and up ahead you could see Divine Beats Vah Ruta, an empty shell that was once able to defeat Calamity Ganon. You could also see a blue shrine indicating Link has completed it, and smoke that's coming from a fire. But besides all of this, the field is huge and breathtaking.

Link leading the way, I ride in the back to the right of him. Zirin and Paya right next to me, to the left of Link.

Finally, we reached the end of the path, and the rocky walls that were confining us opened up to the green field.

We look to Link as he looks at his map.

"Let's go to the fire." Is all he says. We follow without question.

We ignore all the birds and the doe as we approach the man cautiously. A good distance away, just like last time, Link raises his arm, palm to us, 'Stay there.'

He jumps off his horse and approaches.

"Hey! It's you..." Says the stranger.

A look of surprise covers everyone's face, except Links of course.

He contemplates what to say or ask, "Good-bye." Link says, which he replies, "See ya!"

I guess it's better then just walking away from the stranger.

We continue to follow him into a forest that lay behind the stranger.

A pretty good distance away from him, I ask Link, "Do you know him? He seems to know you."

"I don't remember him. I'm not surprised though, I've met and talked to a lot of people for the past 2 years."

Somehow, I couldn't find the words to reply to him.

As we keep heading towards the back of the little forest, we find ourselves gazing at deer and doe drinking from a small pond, and wild flowers that glisten in the sun.

I slide off of my horse, and Link and the others follow.

"Link! May I borrow your sheikah slate for a moment?" I ask as I hold my hand out to him.

He gives it to me, and I take multiple pictures of the sight. Happy with them, I hand it back to Link, feeling the joy of taking pictures again.

I look back at him, wondering, what kind of expression does he have right now?

Surprisingly, he was looking back at me. His eyes were alarmingly... sympathetic. It took the smile right off of my face.

Slowly and carefully, Link pulls out his bow, motioning Zirin to do the same. Zirin hesitated for a moment, but did it anyway.

They both hold their arrows back, aiming at the deer and doe that innocently stand there without knowing this was their end.

They could fire their arrows any second now. Paya looks horrified. As am I.

We all wait for a moment, quiet as can be. You couldn't even hear the birds,the leaves rustling, or the wind blowing.

"Stop..." I quietly plead.
.
.
.
But the cries of dying animals never came. Suddenly, Link stops pulling his arrow back, and puts his bow and arrow away in a swift movement. Zirin looks confused, but does the same. Without a word Link gets back on his horse and so does everyone else.

As we exit the tiny forest, we find ourselves back at the strangers fire. We wave goodbye to him as we head back on the path towards Goron City.

Time skip~

After that everyone seemed more focused on getting to Goron City, so their wasn't much talking. By this point we were in the Samasa Plain.

I had been thinking on what to say to Link this whole time. I couldn't bear his gloomy expression.

But, at some point I remembered a quote, and it had been stuck in my head since.

I stared at the rode as I finally said something to Link as he was riding his horse next to me.

"'A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage'...You were able to step away and let your heart lead you. Is that not courageous?"

Link still had this defeated aura around him, but he looked over to me, and I at him, which he proceeded to give me a cute grin.

I'm glad it made made him feel better... All I want for him is to be happy...

"Link... you're kind... and you're strong...," I spoke so quietly, I don't think anyone could hear me over the clicks from the horses hooves.

'I don't deserve you, Link.'  And though no one could hear me, I still had no courage to say this out loud.

I really don't deserve him.

I tell myself to keep moving forward and to not let the past hold me down... but... the fact that I ruined his life will hold me for eternity.

I was the one who failed. Not him.