Revelations [Chapter 3]

Start from the beginning

“Olivier,” I nodded back.

Well, of course I couldn’t just go around telling people that the Sigrun of Nordic mythology had chosen me to be a Knight and was training me to be a champion of humanity. It’s claims like that that gets people thrown in soft, padded cells. Officially, Olivier Bennet was my personal bodyguard – loyal, efficient, never leaving my side. I had a feeling the greatly intensified training regiment she’d been subjecting me to for the past few weeks was every time I asked her to get me a Pop Tart.

“Your sister is asking for you,” she said as she handed me a towel.

“What does she want?”

“She did not divulge any details, just that she needed to speak with you urgently.” The lack of foresight obviously irked her. “I didn’t have the clearance.”

I accepted the towel and started drying my still-wet hair, gesturing for her to lead the way.

When we were out of hearing distance from Phil, Sigrun fell back and said in a whisper, “I’ve taken care of the girl.”

I pursed my lips and peered at the security cameras that were spread liberally across the estate. “Good. You found her parents?”

She shook her head minutely. “Unfortunately, no. I will tell you the details later.”

We left it at that for the time being as she led me toward the front door and across the wood-paneled hallways to the wing of the mansion where my sister had set up her home office.

There was a secretary’s desk in front of her room manned by a stunning brunette who I assumed was new. She gave me a bright smile before pressing a button on her desk. “Ms. Pierce, your brother is here to see you now.” A soft voice answered back.

The woman rose and guided us to the door, opening it all the way. “Coffee, sir? Another beverage, perhaps?”

“No, I’m good.”

As I went past, the woman motioned to shut the door. “I’m afraid this is a private meeting, Ms. Bennet. Ms. Pierce requests you return to your post.”

“O-of course,” Sigrun replied in surprise. I was, too. The tone the woman spoke with wasn’t something most people used on Sigrun. There was always a certain air of intimidation around the latter that made most of the guards treat her like the head of security even though she wasn’t. Whoever the new secretary was, she had balls. I gave Sigrun a nod that said to comply, which she returned as the door finally shut.

Amelia Pierce’s office wasn’t one I spent a lot of time in. It had a lot of rich furnishing that was there not just for design, but out of purpose. I guess since we were at our home, she didn’t need to doll up the room to intimidate her business partners. The long drive up to the huge doors of gigantic mansion was enough. At the end of the day, it was purely a work office.

My older sister by two years sat behind the desk, smiling warmly at me as if just seeing me brightened her day. I had to admit, we really do look alike. Both of us inherited our parents’ dark, wavy hair although mine was shorter while hers hung in a ponytail to the small of her back. We were both pale-skinned, though I wanted to think that the difference of our work environments had made her a lot paler than me. Warm gray eyes similar to mine gazed back in a most friendly manner that made me all the more suspicious. Though it was almost midnight, she still wore her white business attire, cut so elegantly that it displayed her figure rather well.

“Well, I’m here,” I announced, returning her smile. It was a challenge not to twitch.

“I can see that,” she murmured, her voice somehow musical. I couldn’t help but wonder why she was still single. “Please, take a seat.”