Chapter 14: King of the North

Your ride to Winterfell was a long and awkward one. Meera sat at the back of the carriage and spoke no words for the entirety of the trip. Bran looked to be zoned out and unable to concentrate. Looking at him made you think back to the conversation you had yesterday. You wondered what he was feeling. Though, you started to agreed that maybe you'd never understand.

You were unreasonably angry with him for the words he chose to use. Sansa has told you growing up men had a poor choice in words, and they often don't know how to express themselves correctly. But, the way Bran spoke to you in the cave the night he confessed his feelings was all the right words and more. And, what Bran said to you last night still felt as genuine. You believed he wasn't sure how he felt anymore.

Maybe, Meera was right. The resentment of going all that way only to have all your friends die along the way probably did make you feel some resentment towards him. Then, for Bran to take away his confession of love probably opened those wounds for you. Though, a part of you had felt selfish.

Bran had felt that way about you all this time, while you looked off into the distance at other men. He held his tongue until he felt like it was the right time to tell you. Then, the Gods took the opportunity away. Could you really be mad at Bran when he was going through all this change? It's not as though he had chose the journey you all went on, or to be the three eyed raven. He was forced to be. And, you knew what it was like to be forced to be something you're not. So, why is it you're still so upset?

Your questions would have to wait for another day to be answered. The cold gray familiar walls of Winterfell had just peaked over the horizon. The deep burgundy of the weirwood trees leaves rested above the small Forrest inside of Winterfells castle. You felt a feeling you never thought you could. It felt like a place you actually belonged. Even though you never really belonged here, it's the only place you ever really felt safe. The only thing that could have ever resembled a home to you.

"We're home." You announce.

"He's home." Meera corrected you. You did not argue with her statement, as it had resembled the truth.

Riding down the path to the gate had reminded you of the day the King rode down to take Ned away from the north. The day everything had changed. Coming down this rode seemed like a
small undoing of all that chaos. It felt like you were taking a piece of your own destiny back.

Before the horses even reached Winterfell the gates began to open. You knew someone must have told Sansa of your arriving. As your carriage made its way through the now open gates you looked up at all the balcony's looking for her long red locks. Once you spotted her amongst the surrounding crowd you commanded the Nightsmen riding the horse that carried you to stop. Then you jumped up and out of the carriage and turned to face your long forgotten memory.

She ran to you too, your arms locked around each other's. Though, you and Sansa were never close growing up, you could feel the familiarity in her scent, as she could in your own. She held you tightly then released and pulled back to get a good look at you.

"You've changed." She noted with a smile "you're a woman now."

"As are you. A beautiful one." You laugh.

"You flatter me. I couldn't compare to you." She disagrees. You both smile as you studied each other's faces. Her smile slowly faded before she spoke again "You look like you father." 

She had said father, but you knew she had meant Targaryen. You looked Targaryen. She might not have known it, but being called beautiful a thousand times could never compare to being told you had looked like the identity you had thought you lost. Your smile widened even more, which seemed to confuse Sansa. You had spent all those years trying to hide who you were, only to stand in front of her now proud of what you are.