The satin curtains were lifted so the person lying down was illuminated by the soft light.

Xia Lian Bei believed himself to be an insensitive and callous man like everyone labeled him but at this moment, he couldn't even explain his own emotional, mental and physical state. Everything inside him was at war with each other while the subject of this torment was currently at peace in her sleep.

The person on the bed had a pallid visage, probably from losing blood. The indifferent and distant air that she usually had was nowhere to be found and replaced by a gloomy atmosphere even though she was unconscious.

Her breathing was deep and she looked a lot thinner than the last time he saw her.

Every step he took felt heavier and heavier as though he was absorbing all the resentments she felt at that time she resolutely decided to take her life.

In the end, Xia Lian Bei's legs barely managed to carry him closer to her. He gingerly sat on the bed.

As he got a closer look, he immediately saw the carefully bandaged right wrist. A look of knowing flashed in his eyes. So this was how she hurt herself.

Who knew how long he stared for he didn't dare lay a single touch on her due to the fear that she might suddenly disappear.

It was a silly notion. But he seemed to have developed an irrational fear of being abandoned by this woman. It was a deep-seethed dread that made him lose his logic and even forget his former animosity.

It made him want to bang his head on a pillar somewhere for being such a wuss.

"Haa... I even swore not to be captured, not to hope, not to look any longer. Damn girl, you don't even know how you torture me..."

His voice cracked all of a sudden. The sound extremely desolate inside the stillness of the room, carrying grief, longing, pain and remorse.

Xia Lian Bei's head hang low, the strands of his pale hair brushing across Yin Hua Lei's hand on the bed.

Long slender fingers wove with slim ones until eventually, they only wrapped around Yin Hua Lei's index finger adorned by a single blood red ring.

The ring had been with her forever and never would one see Gao Le princess part with it. Whatever kind of gloves she wore or even if there were none, the ring was a constant.

Yin Hua Lei who was in a dreamless sleep finally stirred. Her breath hitched and her lashes trembled before her lids finally fluttered open.

For a while, her ink black orbs were misty and in a daze.

A pale hand brought a cup of warm water to her lips and she realized just how parched her throat was. It was a welcomed reprieve.

The same person carefully guided her.

After drinking, Yin Hua Lei didn't even bother to look around. She laid down again and closed her eyes, as though not wanting to be with the living anymore.

It was a state of not dying but not living either.

"Hurt? Should I call the doctor for you?" A voice flowed like freshwater from a low waterfall. Soothing and rich.

For the first time in months, Yin Hua Lei's heart shook, a large tremor jolted her body awake.

Enlarged eyes met crimson ones.

Moments passed and no one spoke.

"Here to laugh at me? Or burn paper money on my death bed, which one is it?"

Yin Hua Lei's suicide attempt failed. Should she be grateful or should she loathe having such capable subordinates?

But never would she imagine that she'd wake up to see this man here.