18. Faint but distant state

People lie restlessly on the hard black road; crying and screaming for their loved ones to be helped. I've never encountered a crash like this before; never in my life have I been a close witness to something like this at all. I now face the road once again looking at the damage done and the people injured by it all. It looks like from my vision that a car from behind tried to get around another car and smashed up against it, leaving all behind crashing into the first. 

My eyes dont have to linger far before I notice a little girl around seven or eight in one of the back seats of a crashed car, passed out and bleeding heavily on her forehead. I cover my nose from the scent but soon it leaks through to me still, leaving my throat burning badly. "Edward-" I hiss out weirdly removing my hand from my nose. The smell leaves my whole body tingling and with every gasp of air I hiss. Edward realizes my problem and grabs my arm pulling me away from the scene while Alice goes to help the others. He brings me to the side of the theater quickly blocking out the yells of help all around us and shoves me against the wall; entrapping me there.

The burning sensation inside my throat moves to my chest and down to my feet; leaving my whole body shaking and throbing with pain. I can't control it. I think to myself over and over again; but soon I hear the frantic Jacob on the other line of the phone -almost broken in my heavily clutched hands. At first I dont place it to my ear but Edward insists.

"Talk to him; he'll get you back on track." the windchime of a voice hits me with a thousand beams of light and I do as told.

"Bella! Bella!" Jake frets loudly into the phone. I breathe in trying to think of only him and soon I respond.

"Jacob I'm alright-"

"It doesnt sound alright to me." he cuts in leaving my sentence only a mear breath in my lungs. I flit my eyes back to the accident where now ambulances and police officers await and I notice Charlie helping with everything as well.

"It's alright now. Just come home before something else happens." I tell him counting all the cars piled up. Five. I can't imagine what it would be like if Jacob was in that crash with the other unlucky people. Bleeding and helpless untill someone came for you. It hurts just to think about it. "Please." the silence kills the fact he's still on the other line and soon I can't take it anylonger. "Everything will be okay." I repeat it over in my head and feel a weird sensation in my stomach, not something in which hurts yet something in which I want to be there. With all my strength left I pull myslef together just to have the sensation turn bad and pierce me back in the gut. I gag and then look down to where it came from. My stomach. I hold it ginergly with my free hand and wait for Jacob's response.

"I'll see you tonight then." his words beat at my heart, pouding a new vibe into me and fixing the hole in my chest completely.

I'm about to respond when I'm struck with an extremely sharp kick in my stomach. I gasp; dropping my phone on the hard concrete, and flinging my hands to comfort me. I can hear the phone crack open sending shards everywhere but all I'm concerned about is the pain. I scream out as the sharp kick hits me once again and before I can even say anything more I'm shoved into Edward's car. I can tell my water has broke now and I groan out louder than needed.

"I'm bringing you to Carlisle. He'll know what to do." Edward says in his calm voice, as usual. I nod and try to breathe again, since this baby is very needy.

"Call Jacob." I fret looking back into his golden eyes. I hear his sigh but he does as told and pulls out his phone. With one quick dial the phone starts ringing on speaker. We wait and finally Jacob picks up.

"What?" his voice is demanding and I'm guessing he has caller ID.

"It's Bella. Meet us at Carlisles now."

"What's wrong; she hasnt gone into-"

"Yes." Edward cuts him off quickly before another word can come out.

"Give the phone to her." Jacob demands angrier now, most likely since he's not talking to me. Edward lifts the phone up, taking it off speaker and hands it to me. I grab it shakily and place it to my ear. The pain this brings me is inevitable and i know it, but listening to his voice is worth it.

"Jake." I gasp out feeling another kick shove me back into a cry. I almost drop the phone too but Edward holds it helping me hear better.

"Bella it'll be okay. Just breathe. Listen to me; just breathe." I try to do as told but my stomach is asking otherwise and soon it's more of hyperventalating. "Bells it's going to be okay." he repeats my words from before and I slightly smile; but loose it quick when Edward slams his breaks in front of the house and with one stride movement he's out of his seat and opening my door. I let him help me up and bring me gingerly inside. I still hold the phone to my ear, listening to Jacob's voice guide me. "I'll be there in a minute." Is the last thing he says before the line goes dead and my stomach gets worse. I'm brought into a side room full of medical equitment for Carlisle and placed onto the soft white bed. It feels good against my cold skin minus the pain from my stomach still.

I dont even realize Carlisle in the room until I get struck with a needle which makes the pain slightly disappear. My eye lids close a bit and I dont even catch myself before I trail off into a sleep.

I wake up screaming through the pain which I now will have to face more of. These contractions have gotten the best of my ego and now I'm more angry than ever. I notice the gown which now dresses me from head to toe and I start breathing heavier than needed. This all indicates what's really going to happen. I'm actually going to have a baby. I didnt really believe it for a long time but now I do; because it's going to happen. I push myself up from lying down and try to sit but all I get is insignificant pain in return.

"I'm here honey. I'm here." I dont even realize Jacob kneeling down next to my head; holding my hand against all worries. I let out my breath turning slightly to him, only to have another contraction. I gasp and cringe up squeezing my hand hard into his. Who knew how much pain this is...and I havent even gave birth yet!

When the pain has finally left I ease up on the grip I've put him in and lie back down.

"When does this end!" I ask looking toward Jacob for an answer. He looks confused and I know he has no clue about any of this.

"I'll be right back." he says swiftly kissing me on the forehead before going to get Carlisle. I wait hoping nothing too serious will happen while his absence. It's like when he's here everything goes back to normal, like we're kids again playing outside making mud pies. Like everything freezes and we're trapped in time with each other.

Time passes and already Jacob and Carlisle come back in; both looking worried. Jacob comes over to my side while Carlisle goes to check on me.

"Well Bella you want to try?" Carlisle asks looking back at me with a hard face. I sigh and look up at Jacob who's eyes are trained on mine. I want to ask him wether I should or not but I dont think it's his choice. It's neither of our choices; it's our child's choice. The child in which will be mine forever. In which will make me a...mother and Jacob the...father. I can barely think of the words but when I do they kind of sound nice together.

I pace my attention back toward Carlisle right as another stab comes from the child inside of me. I fling my hands there immediately and gasp in my air telling Carlisle it's time. His nod shows I'm in good hands and I believe it. With one quick movement from him he tells me to push and I do as told. Agonizing pain hits me right then and I stop immediately.

"Stop! Stop! Stop!" I scream gripping Jacob's hand tighter and tighter as the child kicks to be free. I scream again and that's when Carlisle gives me another shot into my arm and -like the last one- it calmed me and took away 'some' of the pain. I still breathe heavy as I try again with more strength then the first. Nothing works in the beginning but soon I see light flicker across Jacob and Carlisles faces.

"Come on Bella, almost there!" Jacob says giving me the strength to try again, but the pain is too much to handle and I feel myself slipping away from everything. Dizziness overcomes my vision and blurry black dots cover everything. As soon as I fear the blackout ahead of me I hear the child's loud screaming in my ears. "Bella; it's a boy." Jacob says smiling down at me. I smile back before everything slowly goes blank and only voices are heard. Faint untold voices in which I cant tell whom they belong to. The voices disappear just like my vision had and soon everything goes black. Leaving me in a faint but distant state.