0.1 | ROOKIE

(Listen to the music while reading. I'll be adding more instrumentals to the story.)

Music: "Everything a Reason" by Richard Luke

/////

The first thing I noticed when I got off the train station in Sanguis was the dead silence. It was my first year as a rookie detective and I lived in the city for quite a while, so I didn't really enjoy the silence. If it was a peaceful silence that made you sleep quietly, I wouldn't mind at all. However, the silence in Sanguis was different. There were no noises. At all. The only noise present was the rustling of the brown leaves on the withering trees. The silence sent chills up your body and it made you want to be cautious wherever you looked.

I cautiously made my way out of the deserted train station. I found a big, dusty map plastered on the walls. It was a map of Sanguis and all of the "landmarks."

As I was trying to figure out my route, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

A chill went up my spine. I turned around slowly and found a man with a hood covering his eyes. His skin was milk white and he had a skinny figure.

"Um...yes?" I asked when the man didn't say anything.

"Why are you in Sanguis?" The man asked me monotonously.

"Oh...I have a job here," I answered. "Is it...unusual to find people here?"

The man chuckled. "You're the first person that I found in the train station from four years ago. For four years, no one dared to come to Sanguis."

"...Why not?" I asked, confused. When I was hired to work as a detective here at Sanguis, the chief didn't really explain what I was going to be doing here.

"Oh, you'll find out soon. Just, don't you ever, step out of your house at night. Ever." The man poked me with his bony, pale finger. And with that, he was gone.

I was baffled. What? Never step out of my house at night? But...don't I have to do that in order to solve a case...?

I took one more look at the fishy man and just shrugged it off. Once I get to the police station, the chief will explain it all to me and I will understand.

I found my route to the police station after trying to decipher the faded marks of the town map. I walked along the sandy sidewalk and looked at my surroundings. Abandoned buildings with cracked windows, missing bricks, broken doors, and sour fumes secreting from the buildings were all around me. There were raccoons digging out of the trash cans, even though it was noon. That's weird, I thought. Trees were withered and had almost no leaves. In alleys, graffiti was splattered along the cement walls. It was a creepy atmosphere.

I arrived at the police station and knocked on the door. A man answered. He had a slender figure and had a white beard that reached his chest. He was wearing a uniform and had a name tag that read Chief Rosewood.

"Um...hello," I bowed awkwardly. "I'm the new rookie detective...Yeon Narae?"

The chief's cloudy eyes lit up when he heard my name. "Yeon Narae? That's you?"

I nodded quickly. "Yes."

"Well then, come on in! I'm Chief Rosewood, chief of the police force. Make yourself at home, Narae." He ushered me in.

"...Thank you," I managed to squeak out. It was awkward, as I was still young and awkward.

Chief Rosewood went into a room, which I supposed was the kitchen, and made a mug of hot chocolate. He gave it to me, and I took it gratefully.

"So, Narae, you're new to Sanguis, aren't you?" He gave me a chair and soon we were face to face.

"Yes. I've never even heard of this town until you called."

Chief Rosewood looked surprised. "You've never heard of this town before? Are you sure? All of our stories are put into the news and now the entire world knows about our problems in this town."

"Problems?" I suddenly felt intrigued. I

The chief was even more surprised. "You've never heard about the 1:27 terrors in Sanguis?"

I was confused. "Never. My parents are extremely protective. I suppose they never let me hear about terrors or those murders that happen around the world."

Chief Rosewood nodded in understanding. "Well, it's about time I tell you about the 1:27 terrors. After all, you'll be solving this case with another one of our rookie detectives."

I almost choked on my hot chocolate. "Wait, I'm solving the 1:27 terrors? I'm supposed to solve the case that is bringing Sanguis fame?"

"Not alone, of course. We have another rookie detective here. His name is Na Jaemin and he's...a pretty uptight person."

"Ah...I see..."

"Anyway, he's...upstairs minding his own business. He has more experience than you, though. He already solved some bank robberies. Pretty impressive for a nineteen-year-old."

"Oh, we're the same age," I commented. "I hope we get along."

"I'm sure you will," The chief smiled. "Now, where was I? The 1:27 terrors?"

"Yes."

"Okay, then. It's about time I tell you about the horror tales that is making Sanguis quake in fear."