Chapter 1

America POV:
I made a mistake. I big one. I knew I should of told Maxon about Aspen. But I didn't. I regret it. When I first arrived at the palace I didn't know if I wanted Maxon in the end, now the end is here and he's all I want. I could of had a happy life with him, married him. I ruined all of that. He always told me he loved me, now he won't even acknowledge me. He's only talking to Kriss. Laughing with her. I can't help but feel jealous. She's a northern rebel, I could tell Maxon. If I did, I'd win. I won't win that way though. Maxon wouldn't even believe me if I told him anyways. He wouldn't even listen. He didn't listen when I tried to explain about Aspen. God, he didn't even listen to me when I told him that Celeste tried to take my dress. That memory seems so long ago now. I continue to think back on past memories with the other selected, it's the only thing I can do to keep from crying now. After a few minutes I look up and start scanning the room. My eyes catch Celeste's eyes. I could see the clear question in her eyes; What are you worried about? I gave her the tiniest shake of my head letting her know that I'd lost. She gave me a thin smile and mouthed the words it'll be okay. She then turned and talked to another Selected. My eyes continued to scan the room. I then saw Aspen. He looked distracted and so I tried to figure out what was wrong.
"Trying to arrange a time to meet later?" Maxon asked, and I whipped my head back.
"No, of course not"
"It's not like it matters. Kriss's family will be here this afternoon for a small celebration, and your will be here to take you home. They don't like the last loser to be alone. She tends to get dramatic. Also I want my letters back." Maxon said so distant
"Please don't do this. Please. I love you." I said, my face starting to crumble
"Don't. You. Dare. You put on a smile and wear it till the last second." He ordered through gritted teeth and I put on a small smile. He nodded and said, "That'll do. I'll be glad when your gone." And he turned back to Kriss. I thought my heart broke when Aspen broke up with me, but this was so much worse. This was true love. I spaced out until I heard Maxon stand up and give a quick speech about the selection. My head was spinning I only heard the last bit. "- and so I've narrowed it down to these two amazing ladies," he turned to Kriss and I, "Do you have anything to say." He asked with charm in his voice. Kriss spoke up first, "Lady America, your an amazing person and friend. You have such a great voice and are very talented, I want our friendship to hold no matter what happens." She gave me a genuine smile, not for the cameras. I could tell she really meant what she'd just said, so I gave her a genuine smile back and said "Lady Kriss, your very kind and real, not to mention intelligent, you'd make an amazing queen, whatever happens I also want to maintain our friendship." We gave each other a hug and smile then turned back to Maxon. He wore a smile but his eyes looked sad and confused. "Now it's time to announce the next princess of Illea, and my future wife." He said as he turned towards the audience. "I chose -" everyone seemed to hold there breath, "- Kriss!" She started crying tears of happiness and I almost started crying tears of sadness, anger, and confusion. With a bit of hesitation he knelt down, and turned to Kriss, "Kriss since the moment I meet you I knew you were a special girl, so will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?" Maxon smiled, and Kriss smiled even wider. "Yes! Of coarse!" Kriss stood up and kissed Maxon. Half of the crowd cheered, the other half was completely shocked.
After about 10 minuets, when I knew they have enough pictures and videos of me congratulating Kriss and Maxon, I began to make my way out. I looked over at the king and he was beaming, chatting with his future daughter in law, the queen wore a smile but didn't look happy at all. She scanned the room, saw me and excused herself. She stopped in front of me and gave me a hug. I hugged her back without hesitation. I didn't know how much longer I could keep the tears in. She pulled back and said, " I'm so sorry I thou-" she didn't need to be sorry so I interrupted her, "- No need to be sorry, it was all my fault anyways" and said and looked down.
"Well is there anything I can do for you?" She said with honesty. "Yes, actually, can you inform Ma- Prince Maxon, that the house he bought for my family can be Kriss' family now?" I said as tears stared rising. "Of coarse darling." Darling. Maxon called me that. I was close to tears, so close. "Thank you for being so kind to me, it was a pleasure to meet you your majesty." I said with a curtsy and left.
Once I was out of the Great Room I broke down. Why did he act that way? Does he hate me? This is all my fault. I'm so stupid. I was crying, hard. I need to leave. Right now. I began making my way upstairs to pack when someone pulled my arm. I turned around and saw him. Him.
"Why are you crying? Why are you upset? I'm the one who lost here, you on the other hand can go marry Aspen Leger." Maxon spoke truly confused
"Your such an idiot. If you had let me explain, you'd know that he is engaged to my maid-ex maid, Lucy. I completely support there relationship," when I said this Maxon looked at me with eyes as big as the palace.
"What you saw in the hallway was me explaining to him that yes we slept together but I love you and you loved me, he actually let me explain, anyways I also asked how he and Lucy were and he told me that he proposed last night, so I hugged him. "
Maxon looked mortified now. So many expressions crossed his face. He didn't say anything.
"I hope you can live married to Kriss knowing that if you'd given me, 60 seconds to explain, I'd be your wife,"
"I hope your glad now, I'll be gone within the hour and you'll never have to see me again."I said and cried even more
I made my way upstairs, leaving behind a completely mortified Maxon.