Suddenly, he heard a buzzing ring and a vibration in his pocket. He pulled it out and the contact name read Bobby. 

He answered and he could hear the voice on the other side of the line sigh softly. They talked about what happened and Bobby's voice went from groggy and cranky to sad and upset. Sam hung up the phone, saying goodbye first. He laid down, his head resting on a pillow.

There is nothing Dean can't get through, why would depression and migraines get him now? Every time he has been hurt, he has been healed by supernatural beings. Those doctors said it was a miracle. But a miracle can't happen every time.

The next day, early in the morning, Sam went to the hospital. They were nearby Denver, Colorado, but he wasn't exactly sure where. He checked himself in. Going through the halls, he saw multiple people in their hospital beds, with their families sitting by them. He didn't see any people with the same symptoms and diagnoses as Dean, which means that this had to have been a targeted attack by some type of demon. 

He had thought of it all night, and there were no guaranteed facts, but he settled that this was a demon, after Sam and Dean. It must have gotten to Dean first, he's never had any symptoms before this, and all of the sudden he just burst. Sam was anxious, too, he prepared himself but nothing came.

The boy sat on a soft chair next to the still unconscious Dean, the familiar aroma of the hospital filled the room and he heard the shuffling of feet and the rustling of gurneys and wheels in the hallway. Nurses scattered into rooms and eventually into theirs, doing his hourly routine of cleaning his tubes to checking his blood pressure. Sam watched vacantly as the nurses were doing their jobs, but it never ceased to amaze him on how fast they worked, and how they knew what they were doing without communication.

Looking at Dean, he thought about how much the doctors saw and witnessed death, the slow beat and flatlining of a heart monitor and the pain in the families eyes as they had to explain what had just happened. Sam had to witness a lot of the same type of things too, he even was the cause of lots of deaths. But would Sam's unawareness be the cause of Dean's death, too?

Guilt overwhelmed the tall and younger one. Why did it have to be him? Was it because Dean always did what he could to protect his brother, and this time, he sacrificed almost everything?

He couldn't concentrate, as a heavy burden was suffocating his chest. He thought about all the times his own family had sacrificed themselves for him. Dean, had to sacrifice his mother because of his birth, a fire, when Sam was exactly 6 months old. John, their father, had to become a hunter to chase the same demon that killed their mother. As the old hunter was gone during trips, his brother fed him, entertained him, brought him to school, and cared for him. But what did Sam do in return? Left Kansas to try to become a lawyer.

Stanford didn't work out, Sam had never truly believed he could become a lawyer, anyway. 

Sam stayed on that same soft chair all night, watching his monitor. Every time Dean would flinch Sam would shoot himself up on the hopes that his brother had awoken. It discouraged him every time.

A knock at the door startled him and he got up from his seat for the first time in over an hour. The door slowly drew open to reveal Bobby, the only person who Sam felt like he has never disappointed. They pulled in for a genuine hug, and Sam felt himself gripping tighter on the shorter man. 

Even though Sam was much taller, he looked up to Bobby, a father figurine as nobody else would be one. Bobby and John argued constantly over who was more supportive. Bobby taught the young one how to play baseball, as John taught the young one how to sliver a vampire's head off, both at age ten.

"I don't know," Sam replied to Bobby's question, "I mean, if he doesn't wake up, how could I live on with my life? Just go find a girl and hopefully marry her, buying a house with a white picket fence and weekend barbecues? I just don't understand why I feel so guilty."

Bobby shook his stubborn head, "He's going to wake up, Sam. It wasn't your fault, something must be going on inside of his head. Did he ever act strange before this happened?"

The other one pondered, finally thinking about a few answers, "He drank a lot of beer and vodka, complained about his head hurting constantly. Dean also was a bit, off.. like, he rarely made those stupid comments on everything I say."

"Maybe he's just.. empty. Maybe it isn't a physical demon but a mental demon Dean has kept in the back of his mind his whole life."

"I hope you're wrong, Bobby."

"I do too." He uttered, going to sit down in the chair opposite from the other. They both looked at Dean, whose heartbeat suddenly started getting quicker. Signs of awakening. They called in a nurse who said that he would be waking up soon.