Chapter 5

Its gonna be slow updates from here. Once a week maybe if I got the time. School's started amd I'm already drowning in 8 assignments. Pardon me.

Everett's POV:

"Mummy mummy! Can I go to the playground with Biji?" I asked, tugging onto my mum's long flowy skirt excitedly as I hugged my little bunny soft toy. Dad gave it to me before he left overseas for work a year ago.

"Of course hun

"Of course hun. Remember to be back before dinner okay?" Mum reminded gently as she patted my head lightly. "Today is egg and bean sprouts, your favourite." She announced the menu with a sparkle in her eyes as I grinned back widely at her in anticipation.

"Yay! Thank you, mummy! I'll be back soon! Love ya!" I jumped excitedly, hugging her tightly around her waist before running out of the house and to the nearby playground. Hugging Biji tightly, I smiled to myself at the thought of introducing him to my new friends, wondering if they'll like him too. To my disappointment, not even a single soul was there. Where is everyone? I wondered as I sat on the swings alone. The soft creaking sounds echoed loudly, emphasizing how silent it was there and how I was truly alone. Even as the sun set, no one appeared. That continued for even the day after and the next.

Every day, I'll just go and sit on the swings with Biji in my arms, hoping that someone my age will turn up. But no one ever did... "Hey Biji, does no one like me?" I teared up a little, sobbing into him as the wind blew strongly. Looking up at the sky to see how dark clouds have collected, I decided to go back home before it rained but sadly, I wasn't fast enough. It ended up pouring heavily halfway.

Rushing to the nearest shelter, I breathed out a huge sigh of relief as I watched the rain come down heavily and endlessly. "I hope it stops before dinner." I wonder if mummy is worried. Just then, a spasm of coughs followed by sounds of metal rattling alerted me of someone else's presence. What if the neighbour realised I took shelter under their roof?

Tiptoeing silently, I hugged Biji even tightly to me as I peeked behind the house to where a gasp left my lips. There sat a dog cage with a boy around my age trapped inside. Did he get kidnapped?! Rushing towards him, I reached into the cage to hold his hand which was freezing cold, hoping to give him some warmth. Why is he trapped inside here?

As if sensing someone around, his cough slightly subsided as his eyes fluttered open weakly. Pretty was the word I would use to describe him. That adorable baby face of his and those captivating oceanic blue eyes of his blew my breath away as I found myself getting hypnotized by it, only to snap out of my daze when he coughed once more.

"Are you okay?" I asked frantically as he stared up at me with fearful eyes. Won't he catch a fever like this? I should find a way to break the lock-

"Don't leave me." He begged with pleading eyes as he grabbed onto my hands tightly. Seeing how vulnerable he looked like, I smiled at him as warmly as I could like what mummy always does for me when I'm afraid.