| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

{ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ }

| Lily |

This morning is different.

This morning I lay in bed, staring up at my ceiling. Nerves bursting through my chest, overwhelming my usual urge to begin the day, especially today. I thought I would be most excited, I think I am. But this is a new type of excitement, one that slightly frightens me.

I enjoy the satisfying crunch of the leaves under my boots as I make the long tread to school. I can't stop my mind from racing, going out of control. I honestly don't know what to expect. I hardly remember my last day of school, I just remember that it was awful.

"Lily are you okay?"

"What's wrong with her?"

"Get the teacher!"

I stop in my tracks, letting the breeze pass by me. I can't do this. Something bad will happen. I'll embarrass myself and they'll laugh. Or I'll get worse. I should just go home. Mother will be happy. Things can go back. Nothing has to—

"Hello?" a soft voice speaks out from behind me. I turn abruptly, startled. And meet the eyes of Anne Shirley.

"Anne!" I exclaim, her eyes widen in surprise, "um, sorry you startled me. I'm Lily, a friend of Diana's, she uh told me about you."

"Oh no worries at all I should've known it was you," she speaks with excitement, "I mean, I knew of you, but I never imagined the pleasure of meeting your audacious self. Of course, you know that Diana told me of you as well. How you were friends before—and here you are. She speaks rather highly of you." I'm immediately taken aback by her energy, but it's comforting in a way.

"I didn't know Diana still talked about me, um thanks," I sputter unsure of how to respond, "shall we." We continue walking through the trees, and Anne continues talking.

"Of course, she still talks about you, her best friend. It's ever so tragical what happened to you, it would make for the saddest of stories," she goes on.

"Try living it," I sigh lightheartedly, "enough about me Anne, Diana tells me you were adopted by the Cuthberts."

"Oh yes, I—"

"Anne of Green Gables." The voice startles me as my eyes meet the source. A tall boy, one I hardly remember, steps out in front of us, he stares menacingly. A lump starts to grow in my stomach, weighing me down.

"Oh! Who's your new little friend," he continues eying me, "my great God it's Lily Grant! Back from the dead, I suppose, I can't believe my eyes." He takes a few steps closer and my body immediately tenses up. I thought I'd be free of the ridicule until I got to the schoolhouse. Looks like I was wrong. I should've stayed home.