It's a complicated relationship we have. My grandfather is his mother's brother, so we're second cousins. My parents died when I was a baby, I don't remember anything about them. Mr and Mrs Holmes raised me. They're practically like my grandparents since I never see my real ones. They've always treated me like I was their granddaughter. My name was even changed to Holmes from the Smith I should have been. Mycroft's idea. He said it was easier that way. I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that.

"A few of us are going for a few drinks after practise," said Amanda, "do you fancy it?" She was purposely looking at me and not at Clara. Meaning I was invited, but she was not. Clara didn't drink, but she should still be offered the chance to come.

"Not for me," I replied, "I've got work to go to."

"Boo! Boring!"

"What about you, Clara?" I asked, "you should go since I can't."

"Oh, no thanks," she replied. I could see it in her eyes, the sadness of not being invited by Amanda, of not feeling welcome. They treated her that way since day one. And I, regretfully, felt partly responsible for that.

I thought of Clara as I walked to my job at the cafe. She once admitted to me that she only started ballet because her mother pushed her to do it. I told her Mycroft had encouraged me when I was younger. I'm not sure what he hoped to achieve out of it, perhaps he was forcing his own dream on me. Although I couldn't imagine his secret pastime being ballet lessons. We had joked that day, Clara and me. I loved hearing her laugh. She sounded like a child when she laughed.

I felt guilty watching her pack up her things as the others headed out for after practise cocktails. Fridays were for spending time with friends, and lately, it seemed I was Clara's only friend. If you could even call us friends.

Amanda texted me with news the moment I walked into work. As per, she liked to play her 'I know all the answers and really want to tell you, but I'm going to tease you first' game.

A: You'll never guess what?

S: What?

A: Just before you left Mark made a huuuuge announcement!

S: Which is?

A: I was hoping he was swapping roles since C is not meant to play the BS!

BS being Black Swan. The role that Amanda really wanted. If only Mark had split the role into two parts, instead of one dancer playing both. There would be a lot less tension in the theatre if he had.

S: You're losing me here. What happened?

A: Ok so...

S:...

A: Mark announced the new patron for the theatre. He's this rich businessman who, apparently, is really passionate about 'saving the arts'. He's coming by next week to meet us!

S: Oh wow, that's great news.

It was, truly. Everyone knew how much the Victoria Theatre was struggling lately, despite even Mycroft making the occasional donation on my behalf. We needed a patron, and now it seems, we've found one.

A: I hope he's fit & young.

I rolled my eyes, pocketing my phone into my apron. It felt pointless coming into work for one hour, but I had promised Kate I would cover the rest of her shift so she could get off. At 4 o'clock the cafe was reasonably quiet, with only a handful of people in. Kate was relieved to see me and left before I could so much as ask how the day had been.