8. The Runaway Wedding

"Let's get married." I whisper-shout.

"We are getting married tomorrow." Deeraj says, gripping my shoulders.

"No, she means now." Anamika clarifies to him.

"Why do you want to get married now? Why not wait till tomorrow?" Nikhil asks.

"Don't you remember our plans? We had planned to get married in Goa. Only our friends and us. Now, we are trapped with all this family -" my sentence is cut off.

"So, just let all these preparations go in vain?" Diya asks.

"I agree with you, Ishita. Why get married the way society wants? Guys, let's get them married." Arjun says.

"But we can't go to Goa and return soon enough." Deeraj tells.

"Of course, we can." I have the last say, putting an end to the argument.

*

Ours was a clichéd love story. Deeraj, Nikhil and Arjun were our seniors. It all began with ragging and then one thing led to another and by the time I reached second year, we knew it was love. After I finsihed my college, I worked in a well reputed institute. So, when we told our families about our love, they agreed very easily since both of us were well-settled. But, the plan we made in college to get married in the presence of only our friends was always on my mind.

The road trip to Goa was the most fun.Arjun went home and brought his car. The rest of us climbed out the window and got into it. We were playing our favorite songs to the fullest volume and we also had conversations about our college days which made it very nostalgic for all of us.

We finally reached Goa and since we had no itinerary in our minds, we decided to get married right away and then head home to marry once again. We drive to the beach and once we reach there, we almost forget the wedding part and start playing in the water.

Just as I am about to splash some water on Nikhil seeing he threw Anamika into the water, I feel something on my neck and when I look down, I find a Mangalsutra in my previously empty neck.

"We are married now, junior." Deeraj kisses the side of my forehead.

"Who knew where that ragging would lead to, right, Senior?" I hug him. It soon becomes a group hug as our friends join in too, not that I mind.

*

That's the adventure that our gang seeked after yesterday. Today we are sitting in front of everyone to get married for the second time.

The rituals and the venerations all pass by and it's finally the time to get the Mangalsutra tied again.

When Deeraj slightly adjusts one of my necklaces, collective gasps leave everyone's mouths.

"Why is a mangalsutra already there?" Deeraj's mother asks.

What reply could we give to a question like that? Deeraj and I have sheepish expressions on our face while our friends continue to laugh like there's no tomorrow.