1. Yours Truly

I used my mad ninja skills and sneaked into Alex, my best friend's, locker.

It was easy opening it because I know the idiot all too well. I definitely know his passwords. Before opening it, I ripped out all the cards on the locker.

Alex and I have always been super duper close since our diaper days. The idiot has always had my back since day one. He also played the role of the big brother in my life whenever some dude checks me out or acts creepy. As much I love the way he behaves, I never wanted him playing the big brother role in my life.

It's because I have always been in love with him.

I don't even know since when but now that I look back into our memories, it seems like I always have.

Shoving my thoughts aside, I open his locker. Actually this is the first time I've sneaked into his locker without him around.

Bad Mia, very bad.

So the all too familiar sight greets me. I look at some of the pictures inside it. Most of them are pictures of both of us being completely reckless idiots. As much as I wanted to leave the pictures there, a small part of me wanted those pictures to decorate the walls of my bedroom. So I went ahead and snuck them into my backpack.

When I started searching for some pictures of mine (Alex took them when I was doing totally embarrassing stuffs and always teased me about those), my eyes landed on a folder.

Mia.

Assuming this is where all my pictures are, I took it into my hand and man, I was right.

Inside there were all the pictures he used to tease me with but along with them there were also other pictures of me and Alex. They were super duper cute and if you probably didn't know we were friends, you would've thought of it to be couple goals. A sad smile imprints on my lips at the sight of him and me together.

As I was flipping through the various pictues, I came across an envelope addressed to me.

Weird.

I knew I shouldn't look through his personal stuffs without him around but the curiosity got the best out of me and I found myself opening the letter.

Dear Mia,
There is something that I wanted to tell you for a long time now but I always found myself backing away for some reason.

I think it's out of the fear that I'd lose you or our friendship but here it is.

Today I'm taking you to the park as every other Friday and when we are walking to the ice cream shop, I'm gonna step on your shoe laces. I'm going to offer to tie it up for you. When I'm at it, here are the two possible things I'm going to do:

1. Kiss you.

2. Tell you how much I've loved you ever since I first saw you in your pigtails.

I have no idea why I'm writing this letter. I'll probably give letter to you if I chickened out today and ruined my plan.

Anyways, I can't wait to kiss you.

I love you, Mia. I've always loved you. It has always been you. How did you not see it idiot.

Say it back for me. Will you?

Love,
Yours truly.

When I finished reading this letter, tears were streaming down my cheeks and I couldn't control myself as I fell on the floor and hugged the letter to my chest.

God, this can't be really happening.

Two weeks back, Alex and I were walking to our favourite ice cream store from the park. As specified in the letter, he stepped on my shoe lace and also offered to tie it up for me.

He did and when he got up I was really sure that he was going to kiss me.

We were in the middle of the road and both of us were leaning in, I saw Alex's eyes widen and the next thing I know, he pushed me away.

Before I can process anything happen, Alex was hit by a truck. I heard a loud scream and it took me some more time to realise that it was my own.

The truck didn't even stop after hitting him, it actually started moving at a higher speed and I ran toward Alex, who was surrounded by a pool of his own blood.

I laid his head in my lap and called 911. As I was on the call, his hand slowly reached out and wiped the tears away from my cheeks, tucked my hair behind my ear and offered me a small smile.

And just like that Alex was taken away from me. I couldn't believe that we had to suffer for the consequences of the mistakes others made.

Without him, my life would never be the same again. That night I lost my best friend and the best guy in my life.

That night he was probably dead and as much as I refused to believe it, I knew I had to stop being in denial and that he wouldn't wanna see me crying.

Yet, it's not that easy.

Now reading this letter made me realise, he was gonna tell me that he loved me.

That night would have been a new beginning for me and Alex in a million different ways.

And now I was never going to get it back.