𝑽

Excuse any mistakes.

❝But if you don't try, how will you know?❞

But if you don't try, how will you know?

MILES couldn't stop the smile on his face. Ashanti had turned away from him as soon as she'd noticed he was staring at her.

She was so beautiful, it was hard to not be gravitated towards her immediately. He didn't know how the rest of these boys could do it, she was impossible to miss.

He picked his books up, muttering a quick goodbye to Jerry, and ignoring the protests of the others at his table as he left.

He walked straight to her, dropping down besides her on the long, empty bench.

"Why are you sitting alone?"

'What answer could she give to his very stupid question?' she wondered.

"It's too early for this," she muttered instead.

He picked up the books that she'd placed between them, dropping them on the table, and moving closer to her.

She dropped the fries in her hand immediately, glaring at him.

"What do you think you're doing?"

He looked confused, "calm down, please."

"Yeah, I will as long as you remember how to keep your distance. Have any idea what personal space is perhaps?"

"I'm sorry," he said, putting his hands up in mock surrender and shifting a bit further from her, "the last thing I want is for you to be uncomfortable with me, honestly."

She believed him. She didn't like him, but she believed him.

When he was sure she wouldn't suddenly attack him, he put his hands back down.

"Are you still eating that?" He asked, pointing at the food that she'd now abandoned.

She'd lost her appetite, so she nodded, smiling a little when he took a handful of the fries. He ate in silence, and she read a book on her phone while she waited for the lunch break to be over.

To her surprise, he hadn't made much of a mess. He packed up the empty takeaway boxes and disposed them before coming back to the table.

"You're surprisingly quiet today, are you okay?" He asked, as soon as he was settled besides her once again.

"I'm quiet everyday. What do you mean?"

He smiled, straight white teeth staring back at her, "not exactly. You're usually pretty mean to me."

"No, I'm not," she retorted quickly, "you're just really annoying sometimes."

"Sometimes? I guess I'm not all that bad then." He replied, a little smile on his face.

"You are. I've contemplated killing you several times just in case you didn't know."

He placed a hand in his chest, feigning hurt, "wow. And to think we were getting better, I'm so disappointed."

She smiled too, not missing the sarcasm in his voice. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't that bad. For some reason unknown to her, she really wanted to believe he wasn't.

"Wanna know something?" He asked suddenly.

She shrugged, "sure."

"This is the first time I've seen you smile, and I really hope you smile more. You're beautiful."

She didn't know what to say. What exactly could she even say to that?

"Thank you," she replied just as the bell rung.

He nodded, packing his things up and turning to walk away.

"Miles?" She called, smiling when he turned to her with a smile that was entirely his, "I don't think you're that bad, honestly."