chapitre cinq

Now freshened up, Nathaniel hurried to tie his white boots. He grumbled angrily to himself, imagining an argument between himself and his father in which he won. He knew this would never happen in real life, though. Tying his black laces into a neat bow, he scrambled towards his desk. As he wrapped his coat around himself, Nathaniel noticed that Marc's letter had gone missing. Blue eyes scanned across the room for the letter, to no avail.

A bit of worry spread throughout his mind.

The double doors slammed open, his grandmother coming through. "Dear, your father is waiting."

Nathaniel's head swiveled around and he started walking towards the doors. The note had slipped his mind. "Coming, Grandmother."

The two walked the halls with small conversations in play.

"Did you even try to manage your hair?" She asked.

"I just brushed it." Nathaniel said. "It wouldn't matter if I had an entire team working on it. Princess Chloe would still find a way to make fun of it."

The grandmother huffed. "Princess Chloe is the bratty blonde, correct?"

"Mm."

"Well, I wish you luck in today's meeting."

There was a few minutes of silence.

She nudged her grandson, lowering her voice to a whisper. "Did my plan work?"

It took a moment for Nathaniel to remember what she was referring to. "Oh, as far as I know, yes. Though I haven't seen him today."

"Hmm. I'll keep an eye out for the boy, then."

"Thank you."

They walked in comfortable silence, really one of the few people he could ever unmask around.

She nudged his side. "There's the entrance to the meeting room. Good luck, Dear." She pointed to large mahogany doors that four guards stood in front of.

"Are... Are you coming in with me?"

She shook her head. "I'm afraid not. I have quite the rivalry with Queen Bourgeois, so I wouldn't want to disturb what your father is working on."

Nathaniel groaned, quietly annoyed. "That woman makes enemies out of everyone."

"A truth." The Grandmother agreed. "Though, that woman holds much power over King Bourgeois. Best to stay on her good side, for the sake of the country."

"I know. I'll try to bite my tongue as much as needed."

"Good luck, Nathaniel."

The Prince gave his Grandmother a small hug. "Thank you." He waved goodbye and pushed the engraved double doors open.

The absolute second he stepped foot into the large banquet room, Prince Nathaniel was met with a cold glare from his father.

"You're late."

Nathaniel's teal eyes maintained contact with King Kurtzberg as he walked towards his seat at the table. "I am well aware and I do apologize. It appears I need to work on my time management still." Nathaniel spoke, feigning sincerity. He knew well in his own mind that it was purely his father's fault.

Before King Kurtzberg could respond, the young girl sat opposite of Nathaniel scoffed. "It looks like he could also stand to improve his hair-care routine as well, doesn't it, Mother?"

The infamous Queen Bourgeois looked him up and down with a critical eye. "Absolutely right, Chloe. Though, I am interested as to who designed his outfit?"

Now sitting in his lavish seat, Nathaniel looked down at his thick, white and gold outfit. "Oh, a friend of mine designed it. Marinette-"

Chloe quickly cut him off. "Oh, that loser?! She couldn't design anything worthy of Mother even if she tried!"

Queen Bourgeois shook her head, signaling her daughter to hush. "We'll resume this later. The adults have matters to attend to."

While the two Kings conversed, Nathaniel's mother tapped his hand. He looked at her to find her giving him a warm smile. "Good morning, Nathaniel." She whispered to him.

A bright smile quickly graced his pale skin as he nodded. "Good morning, Mother." Nathaniel whispered back.

Even though he was both his mother and father's child, he only beared resemblance to his mother. Her soft red hair, teal eyes and gentle personality had all genetically transfered to him, one of his qualities he found pride in.

They both switched their attention back to the main conversation. Many minutes passed by with opposing arguments being held and defended. Over the jumble of words, all Nathaniel could make out was "daughter", "treaty", "unfathomable", "necessity", and "war". None of which calmed his mind.

Sensing the nervousness of her child, Queen Kurtzberg-Bustier raised her voice to be heard over the three arguing royals. "Everyone, stop for a moment!"

Five heads turned to look at her.

"Surely, it would be better if our children went away while we figure this out? Let them roam around outside or in the castle." She suggested.

I, for one," King Bourgeois started. "Like the sound of that. Lovely idea, Caline."

"Thank you." Queen Caline looked at the other adults. "Any problems?"

The silence answered her question.

"Very well. Now, run along!"

Chloe instantly shot up from her seat. "Ugh, finally! These chairs hurt my back."

"Uh-uh, wait!" King Bourgeois interrupted before she could dart off. "You two have to stay together so we can send someone to bring you back later."

"But, Daddy-!"

"No buts, Chloe." Her mother quickly snapped. "Listen and go."

The Princess loudly groaned, stomping as she began to walk away. Nathaniel hurried up and after her, barely catching the door before it slammed shut. He quietly closed the doors behind him, seeing Princess Chloe talking with a small ginger girl.

"Come on, Sabrina! We're going to the garden and the mutt has to come with us." Chloe claimed, clearly having every one of her buttons pushed.

"I've been upgraded to 'mutt'. Lovely." Nathaniel mumbled to himself.

"What was that?" Chloe demanded, spinning on her heels.

He looked at her. "I didn't say anything."

She huffed and started sashaying off.

"The garden is the other way."

She huffed even louder and started sashaying in the opposite direction.