chapitre dix

The Princess stewed over the missed opportunities of hatred, knuckles turning white from her angered grip on the flute. She nursed the strawberry juice, thankful for something to lessen the stress building in her. She noted its aromatics, clearly made from the highest quality fresh fruit with a slight breath of mint. Even the flute was all she wanted, crystal and gilded gold accents. Though she was thoroughly pleased, she made sure to force a cough and groan.

"Ugh, what, is this days old? I didn't even know juice could taste stale!" Chloe complained. She played up the dramatics of hesitantly taking another sip.

Sabrina looked upset, wondering how her freshly made juice could possibly taste off. She wouldn't dare to ask if it was genuine. Instead, she apologized, blaming it on unripe fruit. Nathaniel took notice of how she continued to drink it, occasionally forgetting to fake a grimace. He chose to ignore her and strode back to the lavender plants, careful not to over water the blooming flowers.

The scribe stood nervously, racking his brain to think of anything to say that would allow more time with his prince. He naturally gravitated to his side, continuously glancing at him and then away. His prince slowly noticed him waiting at his peripherals, drawing his eyes away from the plants. Their eyes connected for a few beautiful seconds, their togetherness mending any anxiety either carried. Marc could only muster a soft hum, signaling the watching eyes from afar.

Blink and she'd miss it, Chloe caught the glance Nathaniel threw at her like he was startled. He turned back to the plants, clearing his throat.

"Oh, sorry." He sputtered. "You're dismissed, go on."

The scribe backed away as he managed a "Thank you."

The lover watched from the corner of his eyes as his love disappeared beyond the marble floors, eyes drifting back to their garden already missing him. He moved on to other greenery, trying to disappear beyond them as well.

Sharp eyes and watchful eyes followed him the entire time. Gears turned in the Princess's mind, coming to a new plan. She swirled her flute in circles, not bothering to watch the drink move with it. "Sabrina, that scribe's name was Marc, wasn't it?"

Watchful eyes quickly slipped back to look at the Princess. "I believe so, yes. Do you think-?"

"Oh, I'm not blind, Sabrina!" Chloe snipped. "You are to shadow them. I want everything you can find on them."

She nodded and watched the Princess continue to nurse her strawberry juice.

Hours and hours passed, the sun setting into a painted sky of purples, pinks, and blues. Nathaniel had run out of garden to tend to, now laid across a chiseled stone bench. He had resigned to daydreaming and thinking of future paintings. It had grown quiet, hiding out of the Princess's view. It was quite peaceful, though he had always found it easier to rest in his love's garden.

It never lasted as long as he'd like. Something always came up. The Prince tensed as the footsteps he heard came to a stop at the garden stairs. He knew his time was up.

"King Kurtzberg requests both of you to return at once." A voice says. Nathaniel recognized it as the knight usually stationed to guard his bed chambers.

The Princess let out a loud groan, throwing her head back in feigned anguish. "Finally, I feared I would be bored to death here!" She snapped her fingers as she rose and her servant quickly followed suit. The clack of her heels made Nathaniel sigh, already fretting what awaited him. As he trailed behind the Princess and her servant, he wished they would all conveniently forget he existed. He met the eyes of the Knight that waited behind for him, a knowing look of pity apparent on his face.