Chapter Eighteen: The Shadow Men

They pushed farther inland, away from the port. It wasn't far into the night when Rhesus begged them to stop. Deciding they had traveled enough, Alexios and Nysa agreed to stop before continuing later that night. As tired as everyone was, the tents were pitched up haphazardly. Nysa and Alexios agreed to take first watch.

            Not far away from the camp, a stream trickled idly. The stars shone brightly. A slight breeze flowed over the area. Nysa breathed it in. It was a beautiful sight. Nysa looked over her shoulder. Alexios had insisted that he leave to make the rounds of the camp alone and he hand't returned yet.

            She was beginning to worry he had left to find the staff himself. But she assured herself he wouldn't do that. He hadn't left her out before, and she couldn't see him doing that now.

            Minutes later, he returned with a hesitant grin on her face.

            "Come on," he said, offering her a hand up off the ground, "I have to show you something."

"What is it? Is it the Cult?"

"What? No, just—" he paused, "Just follow me."

            "But what about—"

            "You don't have to worry, everything's taken care of."

"I don't suppose that is supposed to make me feel better?"

            Alexios chuckled kept a hold on her hand, gently tugging her away. Curious, she followed him. He led her farther away from the camp than she thought they should be and down the side of a hill so that they were secluded. And then they stopped.

            A boulder had been moved into place to serve as a table and two pillows flanked either side of it. Wildflowers were in the middle of the table and soft candles illuminated the scene. Nysa gasped.

            "This is for me?" she asked, looking at Alexios in disbelief. He nodded, putting his arms around her to guide her to her seat. "All my years, no one's ever done anything like this for me," she said mainly to herself.

            Nysa sat down on the pillow and chuckled slightly at the look on Alexios' face. While he made fighting several men at once look easy, he had a focused concentration that she had never seen before. When she laughed, it broke him from his trance and he laughed too.

            From behind another rock, he brought out two plates and brought them over to the table.

            "What's this?" Nysa smiled.

            "Ta-da," he smiled, placing the plate down in front of her.

            "You made tagenites," she gasped in surprise.

            "I did." Nysa chuckled in surprise, admiring the plate. She looked back up and him, meeting his gaze and smiling. "I suppose you're rubbing off on me."

            "I could say the same, although I don't know if that's a good thing," Nysa teased, chuckling. Alexios laughed, almost too loudly, before clearing his throat. He sat down across from her, just watching her.

"Alexios," she frowned, "What's all this about?"

            "Nysa, you are different from any woman I have ever met, and I have met a lot of women," he began. Nysa glared at him, trying to comprehend what he could possibly mean by that. "No! Not like that I meant—"

            Alexios cleared his throat, "I just mean that you are different from anyone I have ever met, and it is like you are practically one of the guys."