Chapter Seven: The Hunters

"How long until we reach the town?" Nysa asked, impatiently.

"Depends on if we need a rest or not," Rhesus shrugged.

"We don't."

"We will," Alexios said at the same time as her.

"We've wasted enough time," Nysa sighed, patiently, "If we can push through—"

"We've been walking all day, it's almost sunset, and the note says the rendezvous isn't until tomorrow anyway."

"But we're so close. We can't stop now."

"You know, I think I've figured out what your problem is," Alexios said with finality.

"My problem?"

"Yes, your problem."

"Enlighten me."

"You work too hard."

"Well," Nysa plastered a fake smile on her face, "I appreciate you telling me, because I figured out what your problem is too."

Alexios scoffed, "I'm too wonderful?"

Nysa hummed thoughtfully, "No, you are a no-good, arrogant, philanderer with an over-inflated ego."

Alexios chuckled but didn't say anything. Nysa turned around to regain her bearings. She noticed, for a brief moment, that Echemus and Rhesus had disappeared. However, she was distracted by Alexios coughing wildly and muttering, "Kill joy," under his breath.

She smiled poisonously at him, "What was it you said?"

"Oh, nothing," he assured her. Nysa smiled and nodded. Then she returned to looking out for their missing friends. She didn't have time for Alexios' childish games when their friends were potentially missing.

Alexios coughed again, "Stick in the mud."

"Now, you listen here," Nysa said, losing her temper, "This stick in the mud has had to work from sun up to sundown for most of my life. All while you were out there galivanting all over Greece without a care in the world."

"I'm just saying that I don't even know if you know how to have fun."

"I know how to have fun!"

"You wouldn't even stop working to enjoy the party."

"You enjoyed the party enough for both of us, I'm sure," Nysa snorted.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know very well what means."

They were so caught up in the grievances they had with one another that they did not realize that an unknown group of men had surrounded them until it was too late. One of the men cleared their throat, distracting them from their argument. Startled, they backed up into each other. The man that seemed to be the leader, erupted into barking laughter.

"It's a good thing for you that the boss wants you two alive," he said, grinning maliciously, "Because it is just pitiful how easy it'd be to kill you." Both of them had drawn out their weapons, ignoring the taunts of the man.

"Who is your boss?" Nysa demanded. She prayed to all the gods above that it was not made apparent that this was her first time actually using her weapon against another person.

            The leader simply looked at her and smirked but didn't say anything. This only served to irritate Nysa more.

            "You work for the Cult of Kosmos?" She tried again. The leader didn't say anything, but the momentary flicker of her eyes told her all she needed to know. He tried to disguise it, masking it with a sneer, but Nysa had already seen too much.