Story Preview

"Maya, I . . ."

"Just stop. Your father isn't here. You don't have to continue to pretend to be nice to me," I turned to him, holding my poker face as best I could.

"Good," He mumbled under his breath, his hand going to the back of his neck.

"Okay, now that is out of the way. Can I go to bed?" I looked at him, my arms tightening against my chest. His constant rejection was really getting to me. How could I have ever felt pride or joy thinking that this male would be mine? Why would I want someone who clearly does not want me?

"I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that I am glad there are no delusions here. We both understand how much we both don't want to be here," He sighed scratching the back of his neck. Clearly he was uncomfortable, but I had enough of the delusions as he put it and my temper was on thin ice.

I scoffed, "Don't pretend to know what I am thinking. You don't know me. And why? Can I just ask that? Why are you so set on not liking me? What exactly did I do?" My anger was leaking out into my voice. I took a deep breath in through my nose, squeezing my eyes shut to calm myself. I had to keep a hold on my temper, or I might actually shift. That sounded great. I could shift and go on a nice run . . . relieve some tension . . .

"Listen, Princess, not everyone has to like you," He growled.

I opened my eyes glaring up at him, "I don't expect everyone to like me, Alpha, I just kind of expected my future mate to tolerate me," My tone wasn't far off from a growl either.

"Fine, I tolerate you. However, I don't like you because you think you are better than everyone else. You are so innocent and good and perfect and it's annoying. You are a pretty little Princess, something you put on a shelf like a doll . . . not someone you want in your bed," He snapped, clearly letting out some of his pent-up frustration.

It was like a slap in the face. I'm too perfect? That doesn't even make sense. I am a doll to put on a shelf? He doesn't think I will be good in bed and that is why he doesn't like me? I didn't even know how to respond.