F O R T Y-T W O

En başından başla

Iris found his seat behind his desk and Kai wandered to the lounge chair.

The silence, other than the scribbling of Iris's writing and turning of papers, lasted for a good ten minutes. Until suddenly he looked up, not particularly at anything, and sighed.

"Now that I think about it I never got my tea."

Kai raised a brow and watched Iris stand up and walk around his desk. He stopped at the door and glanced at the vampire.

"Do you want to come with me?"

Kai blinked at him before standing up.

††

To a bystander, it was probably very odd.

Kai gazed down at Iris's peacefully sleeping form before shaking his head and pacing next to his bed, chewing on his thumb nail.

After Iris finished the work he had to do, he and Kai went back to his room, however before Kai entered, one of Arlo's secretarys caught him and gave him and schedule. It was a new idea of Arlos and the intent was to help Iris get used to having to meet deadlines, getting up early, running errands, ect.. And the first thing on the list was 'The prince must be up by five o'clock'  except Kai completely forgot to tell Iris about the schedule and now he has to wake him up.

Apparently it was extremely hard for Kai, he acted like he didn't know what to do or even how to function. He paced and thought of the least awkward way to do it. This wasn't part of the job! He ranted on and on in his head, glanced at Iris, stepped forward, then coward away.

It really shouldn't be this hard. Kai knew he was over thinking it but every time his eyes landed on Iris  thoughts just kept stacking and building. He ran his hands down his face and groaned silently. He stayed awake all night, not that he needed sleep, and forced himself up around three thirty. He wasted probably an hour because when he glanced at the clock, it was four thirty. He groaned again.

"What are you doing?"

Kai flinched and turned to face Iris, who was sitting up in his bed rubbing his eyes. He lowered his hands and stared at him.

"Um..your–the king–said you had to get up at five but I forgot to tell you yesterday."

Iris just blankly blinked at him. "So, you were going to just stare at me until I woke up?"

"No! I was just–" Kai stopped when Iris chuckled. He didn't have too deep of a voice, but his chuckle was low and slightly rough; maybe because it was the morning.

"Okay," Irish said, and flopped back down on his bed. "Give me five minutes."

Kai glanced at the clock again. "It's already almost five, though."

"I get ready fast."

Kai made a sound of hesitation, he didn't know why he was worried. No, he did. He would've gotten up early, got ready early, and arrived where he needed to early if the schedule was for him. Iris wasn't Kai. He didn't particularly care if he was late, but the vampire nervously pacing near his bed clearly did.

"Fine," Iris groaned and threw his blankets off him. "I'm getting up." It was Kai's constant footsteps that woke up Iris up in the first place and they certainly didn't help when he tried to regain that lovely luxury of his conscience being pulled back into peace.