11: Ash

"Kova!"
Ash jerked awake yelling. Hands pushed him back down and he tried to swing at his attacker but cold chains caught his wrist. "Ash stop!" It was Thayer's deep voice. The winged males face came into focus in the dim light. Ash clutches his chest. His heart.

"She's my mate" his voice was quiet but it carried throughout the dark room. Thayer's eyes held a strange light to them, "I know", he sounded broken. "What?"
"I knew. For the moment I saw you holding her at the winter court"
Ash gazed at the boy before him, "I was going to ask her to be my Girlfriend. Until I saw how she was with you. With you she was smiling and joking"
"She does that with you"
"Not with the same light in her eyes. With you she becomes the wind, wild but free"
"You gave her up for me?" Ash asked incredulously. Thayer looked at Ash his eyes sad but hopeful, "I asked myself the same question yesterday when I saw you two to in the woods."

There was a pause before Thayer took a deep breath. "I realised I loved her more than I loved myself but I think I always knew that she saw me as a brother. Even when you brought me up she still looked to you."
"When did you know?"
"I knew you were mates when you arrived in the winter court. The moment I saw you land on the dinning table with her in your arms and the look in your eyes. I knew even then that you weren't just the Night Court's Heir and the shadowsinger."

"You both were the twilight, where light meets darkness. Neither light nor dark just glorious"

Ash embraced Thayer holding him tight mumbling words into the boy's ear. It wasn't until now that Ash realised how close he and Thayer had grown together. They mirrored the friendship he saw in his father, Cassian and Azreil.

A door opened and Xavier walked in smirking. "Finally".
"Where are my parents?!" Ash was on his feet moving towards Xavier but chains held his arms back. "Oh Asher they've been here the whole time", he flicked his hand.

Light flooded the dark corners that Ash had previously overlooked. His father held his mother both silent but their eyes staring at him with love and surprise. Cassian was next to Nesta, with Elain, Lucien, Armen and Varian. They were all silent a if gagged. But they weren't alone along the other side of the room all the high lords and their lovers watched.

"It's this perfect. The son of the most famous love story in the world. Discovering his mate."
"You killed her!" Thayer yelled angrily as he tries to get to Xavier. "Did I?"
The question hung in the air as everyone turned their eyes to Ash. Ash looked down searching himself, his heart. The chain that he had so often felt for weeks now curled tightly around his beating heart. It was silent and quiet.

But still there.

"How that arrow was poisoned" a high voice groaned. A woman with bright red hair walked in.

"Amarantha. I thought you went to hell" Thayer growled,

"Thayer that's no way to talk to your mother" Amarantha cackled her fingers caressing Thayer's face.

Every eye now rested on the winged boy. "Only Kova knew didn't she. Oh how loyal!" Amarantha's laugh was like a knife hitting stones , "I knew you would fall for the girl. But I'm glad you didn't, my sister would be turning in her grave if she saw how you looked at the girl."

"Ilya. She was your sister" Ash asked aghast while Thayer turned slightly green. "Oh yes, she was born into the winter court but she had power I could never have possessed which she gave to her daughter"

Amarantha worked to Azriel who had tears in his eyes. "She was a beauty wasn't she Shadowsinger, how guilty you must have felt. Courting her knowing what I had done to your High Lord and Lady. How it tormented you both" Xavier smiled like a cat. An ugly cat. His handsome face curled up.

"How is this possible? You died! How could I have liked my cousin?" Thayer was shaking green tinted his face. "Don't worry my son. Ilya was beautiful, attracting men left, right and centre. Kova however is a mirror of her mother but has a lot of her father in her" Amarantha glared at Azriel. "You must have loved her dearly to raise Kova so well knowing her heritage. Did you ever tell her about it or only the surface of it?"

Azriel spat on the ground at her feet. Amarantha hit him across the face.

"You know Thayer you and Kova were always supposed to come together. Two outcasts. With a horrible heritage. How could you not become like brother and sister, you were cousins by blood" Xavier was chuckling, "I have to say when I first laid eyes on the girl I was entranced. Beautiful like a sword is, both stunning and lethal"

"What do you want with us all anyway? How did you raise her from the dead?" Ash was on pulling Thayer away from his mother.

Ash thought he would be disgusted by Thayer but in him he could never hate the second person to ever give him true friendship. "I used Thayer's blood to bring her back like this but I had managed to get her souls back when I captured Rhysand and Feyre. Why do you think I wanted Kova, I didn't know of Thayer's existence yet so I went for the sister's child"

"As for what we want. It is what I have always wanted. Power. To reforge the world. We're Fae will become the Gods we are supposed to be" Amarantha smiles cooly.

"You'd be a terrible God. Both of you" a female voices echoed from the shadows. A figure landed in the middle of the light leaving cracks around where they had landed power radiating in waves from them, with such force Xavier took three steps back.

Kova raised her head to look at them. But it wasn't the Kova Ash had always seen. Wings spread from her back, beautiful black, soft wings that her shadows danced around. Her white hair was unbound, tumbling down her back her two swords gleaming at her shoulders. Around her the Court of Nightmares appeared seemingly out of shadows. And most terrifying of all behind her moving out of darkness behind her standing over her like some frighting guardian angel, looming like a nightmare above her glowing white hair was,

Bryaxis.

——————————————————-
A/N Bryaxis!!! I love him so much! Also what do you think of Thayer's mother?

Also Ash finally realised his mate!

Thankyou so much for all the support. We are almost at 500 reads! Your comments are so lovely and inspiring me to write more.

Tess