The Re-encounter.

It all started on June 6th, the first day of summer. Phoenix was out in her family garden watering the roses that she had planted that spring. As soon as she bent down in her shorts and giant tee-shirt, she heard a loud honk. Phoenix looked behind her and thought she saw a ghost.

           It was Malachi, she had known him since they were in elementary school together. Phoenix and Malachi lived on the same street for as long as they could talk. Malachi was sent away about 3 years ago to a boarding school to get his act together. Phoenix hadn't seen or heard from him since the end of 8th grade.

           When Phoenix saw his face, she went red and everything got very hot. Phoenix was only stunned because she had the biggest crush on him when they were younger. She was so shocked that she just stood there like a deer in the head lights. At this moment she regretted thinking it was fine to go out in her bedroom bunny slippers.

           Phoenix knew that the only logical thing to do was to speak. So she ran into her house and hid behind the door as if he couldn't see her through the glass. As Phoenix was in a ball beside the door. Malachi calmly got out of his moms car and walked up her steps and just stood there waiting for her to calm down and open the door.

            "Well here I was thinking that you would be happy to see me." Malachi said with a smirk through the thin glass on the door. "Sorry I just have to ...uhh..... arrange the shoes on our shoe rack. I'll be out in about 2 hours, ok bye!" Phoenix lowkey screamed back at him.

All Malachi could do was laugh at her and stand there. Phoenix realized how silly she was being and got up, she slowly opened the door. When it finally opened enough to where Malachi could fit through it, he ran in and gave her one of the biggest hugs she had felt in a long time.

" Well where have you been dude?" Phoenix said pushing him away, knowing good and well she knew where he was. " Here i was thinking everyone in this small boring ass town knew mine and everyone else's business." Said Malachi knowing she knew but not wanting to tell her if she didn't.

" Unlike you I actually stay out of other people's business. Like why would I even care enough to ask about you." Phoenix said as cool as she could. Which was still pretty awkward considering the coolest thing she has ever done was go to a high school football game once as an eighth grader to see if she wanted to join marching band.

" Yeah whatever, catch you later?" Malachi asked as he walked out of her house. "If you want to see me later I guess... ok ... um bye!" Phoenix nervously said as she stuck her head out the door waving at Malachi's mom.

Phoenix watched Malachi and his mother ,Shannon, pull out of the driveway then ran up stairs to her bedroom as fast as she could. There was only three things Phoenix genuinely enjoyed: singing, acting and writing poetry in her super private poem journal.

The first thing Phoenix did was pull out her journal and went to work:

Dear, journal June 6th
So I went to water my roses and who do i see
I see the boy who locked my heart up and threw away the key
My insides boiled and my palms went sweaty
If only he wasn't such a ..... nope I'm not that petty
The last summer before high school was the most fun I've ever had but when dad left for good mom got real sad
Malachi was there for me when my mom was too drunk
Malachi helped me crawl out of my funk
He was a true friend until his dad died
Then he smoked so much his brain fried
He failed all his classes and shut me completely out
Then his mom sent him away and left me alone to sleep, eat, and pout

Phoenix calmed down and closed her journal. She hid it in her usual place a hollowed out floor board in her closet. Then she got out her outfit for that day and laid it on her bed. She got her house robe and walked to the bathroom and took a long hot shower. When she got out she went and put on her clothes and went downstairs to see her mom Teresa and little sister Skylar. They were eating breakfast and waiting on her to come down.

" Phoenix I can't believe your boyfriend is finally back!" Skylar said to her big sister in a mocking tone. " Leave your sister alone." Their now sober mom said to Skylar. "As a matter of fact I'm gonna be late for work and you are going to be late for camp." Teresa said as she picked up hers and Skylar's lunch box. "Phoenix I am working a double tonight and Skylar is going to a friends house after camp today, no company and here is 20 dollars for takeout. *mwah* Love you hun byee.

Phoenix went upstairs and went back to sleep; lately that's all she does. About an hour or two later she woke up and went down stairs. She went to the kitchen grabbed a bag of pre popped popcorn and put on her favorite movie. She sat down and watched for a while then as soon as the best part came on she heard a knock on the door. She screamed a little in her head and went to see who it was. OH MY GOSH!!! It was Malachi! Phoenix calmed down and opened the door.

" This morning wasn't enough torture?" Phoenix asked in a kinda irritated way. " Nah I thought I would come over and finish the torture a bit." Malachi laughed. "Well either way I can't have company so......" Phoenix said hoping he would leave. "Which is why i had my mom call your mom at work to see if it's fine for me to come over. Mrs. T obviously said yes because who doesn't love me?" Malachi said that specifically to get under her skin.
"Whatever come in." Phoenix said opening the door.