Chapter 15: Stay out of trouble Pt. 2

Steve's POV

Things couldn't be more frustrating with Jill. It was like the more I tried to understand her, the less I could. She had been taking her grounding quietly so far, but I could already see a glimpse of hope in her eyes of getting off soon. Honestly it was kind of exhausting to have her grounded for so long but otherwise she didn't seem to understand there are rules to follow in this world. One way or another she'd have to make her piece of mind with it.

On top of it, we had a really hard case to focus on that day, and I was obligated to pick up Jill from school and take her with me. Evidently she couldn't be trusted on her own, although I knew that situation couldn't be dragged much further. It was precisely that critic day my friend Daniel picked up to be a drama queen.

"What's with you today?" I asked a nearly pouting Danny riding right next to me in the passenger's seat.

"I just realized the other night you never apologised for having me shot the first day we worked together" he let out without any shame whatsoever to make such a big deal of something that happened years ago.

"Are you kidding me? It was ages ago" I couldn't help but chuckle at his explanation, thing that only put him in an even more sore mood.

"And you constantly do it, you get me in trouble but then you congratulate yourself for saving me!" his voice rose with every word he spat out to my person. I sighed deeply thinking why there were two teenagers in my life. It was too much to handle.

"Are you seriously going to start that at 9 in the morning?" I growled at him while dedicating him one of my most ablaze with anger looks.

"Oh forgive me. I'm very happy that you have that G.I.Joe thousand yards stare to chase criminals around the world, but in a civilized society we have rules. And when you get somebody shot, you apologize!" Danny's voice rose through his sentence and finally reached the top of screeching so I decided it was best to throw the towel on this one.

"Alright, I'm sorry. I'm sincerely sorry" I made sure to point it out clearly to my friend who was still ranting about society's rules.

"Your apology is noted. Acceptance is pendant" Danny replied cold and cockily while keeping his look out through the window.

I shook my head and avoided to chuckle out loud, in order not to anger him any more than he was. I just knew it'd be one of those days when it was best to just stay out of Danny's way.

When we arrived to the scene people were waiting for us. Of course they were, since I had to make sure Jill was up before I left and Danny had kept me waiting for like 15 minutes. We quickly talked to the witnesses in the zone, who of course weren't much helpful and with the people from the lab. They assured us they'd get results within a few hours but that wasn't enough for Danny. I rolled my eyes at his behavior and then referred to the rather shocked lab workers in the scenes.

"Don't mind him. He woke up from the wrong side of life" I explained briefly before piercing Danny's eyes with my look. Of course he just shrugged it off, but I thought it'd be enough for him to cool off a bit.

When I picked up Jill from school that afternoon she seemed a bit off. I couldn't tell what but something was for sure bothering her. No matter how skillfully I proded her she didn't tell me what was wrong, although I could imagine. It was the same thing that kept me up these last nights.

Once we arrived home, I decided a good meal was in order and I had hope it'd improve my sister's mood at least a bit. I pushed aside the constant reminder that french fries aren't healthy and I served her a good plate of her favorite food. Her facial expression didn't change much and I was getting worried and worried. We ate in silence... or at least I did. She hadn't taken a bit when I heard her taking enough air to spit out what was wrong. I for myself prepared as much as I could for that moment.