Ch. 229 and Ch. 230

Start from the beginning

The old carpenter let out an unabashed bark of laughter that was as honest as the man it had come from. "Esteemed Madam, these kids aren't purposely standing around because of you. We've used up all the wood we had, so Master Qin went out early in the morning to buy more. This old man's just waiting for the materials. Once Master Qin returns, we'll be able to finish our work in just one hour."

Although Chu Lian knew what the rough design should be, she wasn't very sure about the kind of materials she should use for it since it was her first time making something like this. After discussing with the old carpenter, she had decided on using fir wood, which was harder and more robust.

After testing their first prototype, they wouldn't have to be so rigid with the choice of materials later on.

Chu Lian nodded and left the storehouse. Once she reached the entrance, she ordered Wenlan to send the old carpenter and his helpers something nice to eat.

After a short moment, the old carpenter and his workers sat on the floor together with a large bowl of vegetable porridge each. They gulped down the porridge as if they hadn't eaten in days. The spark of shrewdness that the old carpenter had shown during his negotiations with Chu Lian had completely disappeared in the face of delicious food.

His sons and grandsons were acting just the same as the old carpenter. They buried their heads in their bowls, only looking up once the bowl was emptied.

After eating up all of his vegetable porridge and gulping down some extra cabbage and meat buns, the old carpenter wiped his mouth on his sleeve with utmost satisfaction. He sighed with deep feeling and said, "Heavens!"

Having vegetables to eat on a winter day, let alone such fresh and juicy green vegetables, was nothing short of a miracle! The first morning had been given such amazing food for breakfast, the old carpenter had been frightened half to death!

Green vegetables in the middle of a harsh winter! Surely even the Emperor wouldn't be able to have much better food than this!

The old carpenter mulled over his thoughts.

Furthermore, there seemed to be something added to this vegetable porridge that made it taste extremely fresh. He lamented the fact that he couldn't just have three heaping bowls of this for every meal.

Whenever the old servant who brought their meals came to take the bowls away, the bowls used by the old carpenter's family were always gleaming. They hardly had to be washed after taking them back to the kitchen.

When Chu Lian returned to her room, she took a seat on the heart rather absentmindedly. From time to time, she would send Wenqing and Wenlan out to check if Manager Qin had returned.

Wenqing found it strange, but she took her task even more seriously. No matter how bad the situation, their Third Young Madam had always been able to keep a smile on her face. This was the first time she had seen such an anxious, worried expression on her mistress.

Unfortunately, this time, Chu Lian's worst fears came true.

After one hour had passed, Li Xing hurriedly rushed in to report.

"Honoured Lady, Manager Qin and the others have been taken to another courtyard by Old Mo."

Chu Lian frowned and ordered Wenlan to help her up from the hearth bed. With a solemn expression, she announced, "Let's go there quickly!"

The shadows in her eyes and the graveness in her visage made Chu Lian look a little more like He Sanlang.

In the side courtyard of the He Estate, Manager Qin and his men had been forced to kneel on the snow-covered ground. The old soldiers were skilled in martial arts, so Manager Qin and the other manservants didn't have a chance against them.