Ch. 227 and Ch. 228

Start from the beginning

Up till her sleepiness got the better of her, Chu Lian still hadn't thought of a solution.

Back at the capital, the officials gathered for court were already arguing furiously over the situation at the northern border. Xiao Bojian had been appointed as secretary for the reinforcements marching towards the north and was now following the troops stationed at Chongzhou Prefecture as they made haste towards Su City. They were to make camp next to Lake Qianshan outside Su City and act as the first line of defence in the case that the fortress at Liangzhou City were to fall.

The next day, Chu Lian was on her way to the center of the courtyard when she saw Li Xing and the other guards shovelling snow. In just a single night, the snow covering the ground already reached their knees! The whole He Estate had practically been buried in snow.

Wenlan spotted Chu Lian coming out of her room ill-suited for the current weather, so she quickly rushed back in and grabbed a cloak. She took the time to help Chu Lian into it, as well as stuff a hand warmer into her hands.

"Third Young Madam, the wound on your leg has just healed. Please be careful not to get a chill, or Third Young Master will blame this servant."

Chu Lian glared at Wenlan in response. "It snowed a lot last night."

Wenlan also found it strange. She had grown up in the capital. Although it snowed there every year as well, it had never snowed as much as it did here.

"That's right, Third Young Madam. Last night, my sister and I came out to check the surroundings and the amount of snow falling was enough to block our vision completely. If we were to go out on such a snowy day, wouldn't we be buried by the snow?"

Chu Lian turned to look in the direction of the border camp with worry filling her heart. She wondered how the border troops were doing now.

"Where's Manager Qin?"

"In the outer court. He's probably taking care of the carriage horses we brought with us. It snowed so much last night that the stables collapsed. Two of the horses froze to death."

"Have someone bring him to me. I have some tasks for him."

Wenlan quickly went to do as ordered. Chu Lian stood in front of her room door and watched as the estate's guards shovelled snow. The heap of snow that they cleared was as tall as a small hill. It took the five men an hour before they managed to clear the snow that had piled up in Chu Lian's small courtyard.

After twenty minutes or so, Manager Qin rushed over from the outer court.

The He Estate was quite large; there were five small courtyards within. They couldn't clear all the snow in the estate so quickly, so Manager Qin had designated Chu Lian's courtyard as the first to be cleared out.

They would only start on the outer court after Chu Lian's courtyard had been completely cleared, so the paths in the outer court hadn't been cleared yet!

As Chu Lian stood in the corridor, she watched as Manager Qin, who wore enough layers to resemble a plump little ball, waddled into her courtyard.

Manager Qin had seen Chu Lian standing at the door from afar. He was already gasping for breath before he even got to the courtyard and had to shout, "Third Young Madam, it's cold outside! Please enter the room first, I'm walking rather slowly."

Of course he was walking slowly! He had tied two wooden boards onto his feet!

Chu Lian didn't speak and simply smiled at him. When her gaze landed on Manager Qin's feet, she abruptly fell into a daze. Her almond-shaped eyes were obscured by haze as if she had suddenly sunk deep into her own thoughts.