Ch. 223 and Ch. 224

Start from the beginning

With Xiaoyan's example before her, Xiaoju didn't dare to hide anything from her general.

"Yes, this is what this servant was given by the cooks in camp. Even the great general himself eats food like this. The dried meat and sauce were specially given to you because of General Qian's orders."

Sima Hui's brows furrowed. Her gut told her that something wasn't right.

"Other than those under my command, what do the normal soldiers eat?"

"For the soldiers who aren't deployed at the frontlines, they get two bowls of bean porridge and one wheat pancake each day. The soldiers at the frontlines get three meals a day and each meal consists of one wheat pancake and a bowl of bean porridge."

Upon getting this answer, Sima Hui's eyes widened in shock. "When did the border troops start eating bean porridge?!"

Xiaoju was much more reliable than Xiaoyan. She had a conscientious personality, so she normally scouted for more news in camp.

"They started eating bean porridge even before we arrived. However, that had only been for one meal a day back then. There was also some rice porridge in the morning and night. However, since the end of last month, the camp has completely stopped eating rice. The quartermaster said that they're saving the grains to pass the winter."

Sima Hui wasn't that naive. Her expression was full of worry. She stood up and walked over the tent entrance. The moment she lifted the flap, a bone-piercingly cold wind came barrelling in from outside, complete with ice and snow. It was enough to make anyone shiver.

Saving supplies? Who would start saving supplies in winter? Their men would freeze to death if they tried to cut back in this cold weather.

She was afraid that their supplies had most likely run dry...

Ch. 224 He Sanlang Doesn't Know How To Placate His Wife

Not long after Chu Lian's carriage had left the camp, He Changdi came chasing after her on a horse with two of his subordinates in tow.

There was a brazier burning within the carriage, but it was still cold and breezy. In the northern border, it was so cold that spit would turn into ice the moment it hit the ground. The fleece rug and blankets that had originally been placed inside the carriage had been used to replace He Changdi's bedding, so all that was left were bare wooden boards. Chu Lian wasn't used to the cold and hard interior yet.

Wenqing heard the sound of hurried hoofbeats outside the carriage, so she lifted the curtain to peek outside. Her face lit up with happiness at the sight, and she immediately turned to Chu Lian. Wenqing began to adjust the large fur cloak on her mistress as she said, "Third Young Madam, Third Young Master has come to send you off."

Chu Lian was still angry at that lunatic husband of hers and had no desire to see him at this point. All she did was harrumph.

Wenqing started getting anxious when she saw Third Young Madam's reaction. However, there was nothing she could do.

Chu Lian was intent on stewing in her anger inside the carriage. Meanwhile, He Sanlang had never been a man who was good at placating his wife; considering how his previous life went, reincarnating did little to help matters. The thought of shamelessly begging his wife for forgiveness had never even crossed his mind. Thus, he kept his face cold and continued following Chu Lian's carriage on his horse, escorting her silently all the way back to the He Estate in Liangzhou City.

When they arrived, He Sanlang dismounted from his horse and stood by the carriage. It wasn't until he finally saw Chu Lian being helped down from the carriage by Wenlan that his deep, dark gaze finally lit up with some life. He Sanlang moved forward with the intention to help her, but when that only caused him to be on the receiving end of his wife's fierce glare, he pulled his hand back.