Chapter 7 ~ Kaitlin

I went to school on Thursday but, Chris wasn't there. So, the day was a blur. I didn't look forward to anything. Friday after noon was different. I tapped my pen impatiently on my desk, ignoring the stuff that my science teacher was rambling on about. It's weird though, my favourite subject is science and I'm really good at it. But, I could only focus on the clock, waiting for the time final period ended. Every second seemed like an hour. I could hear someone say my name. I flashed back to reality. The teacher was pointing at the board. He was talking about chemical formulas. It said "I + Cl- = ?" the answer was obvious to me.

"Iodine and Chloride can be mixed together to create Chloroiodane or Iodine monochloride." I said simply. He nodded expectantly. As soon as his pen hit the board the bell rang. I grabbed my stuff and bolted out the door. I searched for Poppy and found her leaning against the car. I ran up to her.

"You're staying the night right?" I asked p. She nodded with a huge grin on her face.

"Let's get over to your place, then!" She said excitedly.

We ripped through my closet, looking for something to wear. Poppy took to her clothes bag and chucked all her outfits onto the bed. She sorted them out as I walked through my big wardrobe.

"You want to wear a dress but, it can't be too dressy." I heard Poppy say.

"How is that even possible?" I asked. She walked into my wardrobe with a curious look.

"Do you seriously own anything apart from jeans, beanies and converses?" She asked. I rolled my eyes

"Of course I do! I just don't know where they are..." She pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Okay, I have some spare clothes." She said with a grin. I walked back into my room and was amazed by what Poppy thought was "some". There was a mini wardrobe set up in the middle of the room. There were party dresses and clothes hung up on a string that ran from one side of the room to the other. There were shoes all over the floor.

"Some?" I asked. She giggled

"Sort of followed my instincts!" She exclaimed and walked toward the line of clothes

Poppy dressed me in a black party dress that ended a few centimetres above my knee. My hair was up in a high ponytail and Poppy curled the tail in many parts. Poppy did my makeup. She put a thin layer of bb cream on and then a small amount of powder foundation. I had light brown eyeshadow and a thin line of black eyeliner. She filled in my dark eyebrows and glossed my lips up. She got out some Victoria's Secret perfume on me. I looked in the mirror. I looked actually okay. The doorbell rang. I sprinted downstairs, my feet bouncing on the black carpet. I approached the door and opened it to Ainsley, holding a bucket with KFC printed on the surface. She was wearing some ripped skinny jeans with silver chains dangling down, black knee high converses with lime green laces, a black singlet crop top and a leather jacket with rolled up sleeves. She chewed up her drumstick and swallowed.

"Hey man!" She said and stepped inside

"Hey!" I greeted as I closed the door. I grabbed some chicken out of the bucket. She laughed.

"Where's Poppy?" She asked

"Getting ready!" She called from upstairs. I shrugged and collapsed on the couch. She sat with me, her chicken in her lap. I flicked the TV on and opened the movie selections.

"Poppy's going to be a while... What movie do you want to watch?" I asked.

"Bridesmaids!" She cheered. I laughed at her enthusiasm

"Of course." I said.

We were up to the part where Annie was freaking out at Lillian's wedding shower and we were laughing our heads off.

"No Lillian! What you're gonna go- you're gonna go to Paris with Helen now? Are you gonna ride around on bikes with berets and fucking baguettes in the basket in front of your bike? Oh how romantic! What woman takes another woman to Paris? Am I right? Lesbian! Were all thinking it aren't we? Yeah, were all thinking it right?" We were killing ourselves laughing as she trashed the entire place.

"Guys?" We heard Poppy say. I paused the TV and turned to the stairs, waiting for Poppy's appearance. She waltzed down the stairs, looking a million bucks. Her blonde hair was straight and fell down her shoulders to her hips. Her grey eyes were winged with eyeliner and she wore light pink lip gloss. She wore a high waisted, green, layered (long in the back, short in the front) skirt, a white crop top but, it met her skirts top so, it was like a DIY dress, killer gold spike heels and silvers chain jewellery. Ainsley's jaw dropped

"You look awesome!" We said simultaneously. She smiled. I laced up my new black and white stripe converse and we walked over to Chris's.

The party was booming by the time just reached the front garden. There were kids sitting on the white marble railings connected to the huge house either making out or falling off, laughing their asses off. The sun was setting and the house glowed against the newborn night sky. Ainsley and I took a deep breath and proceeded to the house.

"Have you guys ever been to a party like this?" Poppy asked. I shook my head.

"No." I said

"Neither" Ainsley added. Poppy smiled

"Then you're in for a great night." She said.

We entered the huge house flooded with people. Surprisingly, I knew half of them.

"Sam! Hey!" I yelled and approached the girl. We met each other in year five. She had teal eyes, brown hair that was curly and mid length. She was very fit since she was quite the jock. She turned to me and waved excitedly, forgetting she had a drink and spilled some on the floor. She looked down onto the floor, frowning. I walked up to her and gave her a massive hug.

"Gosh! I haven't seen you in ages!!" I exclaimed while still hugging her tightly.

"I know!" She said back excitedly as we let go.

I spent about half an hour with Sam before the guest of honour decided to show up. He wore a simple black and yellow Nirvana shirt with black jeans and converse. He walked down the stairs alongside a boy wearing a black beanie, grey and maroon hoodie, denim jeans and vans. Chris was taller but it was hardly noticeable. Chris took a sight of me and stopped in his steps. We stared at each other for a few seconds until a pang of hurt hit me. I looked away and turned to Sam. "I'll be back soon." I said and ran off, searching for fresh air.

I eventually got to a double open door leading out to the starry night sky. I smiled and ran outside to what seemed like a large marble semicircle patio. My footsteps echoed on the solid floor. The patio overlooked the most beautiful gardens and maze I've seen. I smiled at the sound of teens laughing and giggling through the maze. I walked out of eyes view of the door and leaned against the sandstone wall bricks, breathing in the cool night air.

"Kaitlin?" I heard someone yell. I knew who that someone was. Chris. I ran down to the gardens and hide behind a few trees. I huffed as quietly as I could but, I could hear no one coming. I peeked from around a side of trees and saw no one. I breathed a sigh of relief but then felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and turned around to the familiar, warm, brown eyes of Chris Lanzon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHORS NOTE: I'm so sorry to the people who expected me to keep my word by updating my story twice in one night. My internet crashed because of the typical blue mountains weather. On a more positive note... THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR 500 READS!! You guys have no idea how much your views mean to me! Words cannot describe how amazing it is looking at comments saying things like "this is incredible" or "keep writing!" Because that is the thing that helps me keep writing! THANKYOU SO MUCH! I love you all! Xxx 😘