"And our top 12 to 16 age group soloist with one point off from a perfect score, we have entry number 40, Florenity with Beautifully Unfinished!"

Everyone from my team cheered as I stood up in shock, I've never beat Alice, I'd usually get 2nd to her.

As I stood for pictures next to Alice, she gave me a side hug and I heard the moms and my aunt shouting congrats.

Alice and I then sat back down with our team as they went through duo/trio awards.

"Good job, Floriy "

I laughed at the nickname that Elise gave me and we all clasped hands as they began announcing group awards.

"3rd place in the teen small group catagory we have entry number 420, Copycat."

We all clapped as a boy in black and green stood up to accept the award for his team.

"He's kinda cute even with the sfx makeup" Delphine, the team's designated dad friend commented and I rolled my eyes playfully while Tara nudged her foot.

"In second place we have entry number 652, Cellophane!"

I could feel the sigh of disappointment but stood up to get the award anyways, smiling out at the crowd to see our dance teacher give a slightly disappointed smile.

I wasn't overly defeated about losing, we worked really hard and gave our best and we were up against really really good competition.

"And our first place overall teen small group is entry number, give me a drum roll"

We all giggled as the teens and some preteens sitting tapped their hands or feet on the stage to create a drum roll effect.

"Entry number 104, Titanium!

We all cheered as a group of 5 teens stood up, all dressed in beautiful costumes stood up with shocked looks. As they stood next to me I clapped and told the tall redhead next to me they were amazing and she thanked me.

After awards we all went back to the dressing room to see our moms already back there and our teacher. We all cheered and hugged our moms, then the teacher, then each other before taking off our makeup and getting changed.

We weren't leaving until the morning so when we got back to the hotel we were staying at, Delphine, Alice, Elise, and I changed into our bathing suits and went to the pool until we had to go back to the room.

In the morning, I sleepily put on a pair of leggings with the studio's logo down the side of the legs and a cropped purple hoodie. I then brushed my teeth and left my hair down after brushing it.

After eating breakfast, I packed all of my stuff back into my suitcase and then headed out to the bus with the rest of the team.

We were all buzzing about our wins on the bus and all other kinds of gossip before the bus pulled up to a strip mall of different food places.

I went with Alice into Starbucks to get coffee and then we went to McDonald's before getting back on the bus.

It was a long drive so we decided to play various travel games and by lunch time we were all delirious with laughter and began horribly singing Brittney Spears' Toxic.

My aunt had enough of it at this point and yelled at us to calm down, which we did when I got a call from an unknown number.

Confused, I answered.

"Hello? Is this Florenity Desya?"

"Yes, this is she, who is this?"

I noticed everyone had gone silent as the person on the other line cleared their throat.

"This is Alexis Morges from Mercy Hospital. Miss Desya we regret to inform you that your mother is currently in coma after a car crash and we would like you to know that you may come to visit her until 5:30 pm."

I was shocked and started tearing up.

Alice asked what was wrong and I explained the phone call as she just hugged me tightly.

When we got home, my aunt immediately took me to the hospital and after they told us which room she was in, I ran to it, earning myself irritated and pity glances from nurses and doctors.

When I entered the room, I saw my grandmother looking very tired and stressed as she looked up and stood up to hug me.

I sat with her as I wiped another stream of tears away.

A nurse entered the room to check her vitals and sighed as she gave me a sorrowful smile and then left the room.

An hour or two later, a doctor came in and squatted in front of me.

"Florenity, right?"

I nodded and the doctor sighed.

"Florenity, this is difficult to say, especially to someone as young as you, but your mother may not make it. She seems to be showing very few signs of responsiveness and if she wakes up, she could possibly have amnesia or brain damage."

I nodded in false understanding and as the doctor got ready to say something else to me, I heard the dreaded sound of the heart monitor flat lineing.

I felt as if my own heart stopped and I began crying as my aunt and grandmother picked me up and took me out of the room.

We sat in the hallway for what felt like hours until a nurse came out with teary eyes.

"Sweetie..I'm so sorry.."

I let out a heartbreaking cry then, being engulfed in a hug by my grandmother and aunt.

It was the worse day of my life.

And it all started out by not having a care in the world.