Chapter 18

Upon arriving back at camp, she was greeted by her two sisters. Before she could even set down her bird, they were bombarding her with the question, "Did you pass?!"

Skypaw nodded affirmatively, her tail waving and held high. Shadepaw and Rainpaw erupted into cries of joy. Russetsky, upon hearing Skypaw's return to camp, padded over to the three littermates after she had spoken to Hazelflower and Petalheart.

"My kits!" She exclaimed, pride and joy beaming from her eyes. "My kits are going to receive their warrior names today! Where has the time gone?"

Upon hearing his mate's exclamation, Bramblefrost's dark pelt emerged from the warriors' den. He, too, looked like he might explode with pride. Skypaw set down her mouse and purred a greeting to her father.

"I cannot believe it," Bramblefrost said as he joined his family. He intertwined his tail with Russetsky's. "It seems like just yesterday I laid eyes on my kits for the first time. I knew I had my paws full between Shadepaw's ambition, Rainpaw's compassion, and Skypaw's curiosity."

Russetsky nodded in agreement, her eyes raking over the three she-cats she had raised. After a moment, she nodded again as if snapping herself out of her memories of her darling kits when they were little. "I'll go inform Sunstar that you all passed your assessments."

Bramblefrost, deciding he would follow Russetsky to Sunstar's den, called out, "I'm proud of you all!" over his shoulder before padding away.

Skypaw took a moment to look at her parents. They padded away closely, side by side, their tails intertwining together. Bramblefrost's bigger frame cast a slight shadow over Russetsky's shadowy pelt. She noticed her mother leaned against her father, and she admired the point where their fur began to blend together slightly, seemingly morphing the two mates into one.

A pant of sadness tugged at Skypaw's heart. She would never have that with her darling Hawkspirit. The concept of mates being able to walk together in front of everyone, their affection going unnoticed or, when it did catch the attention of bystanders, being adored. Here she was, on arguably the most important day of her life, and Hawkspirit couldn't be there to see her stand in front of her Clan and be declared a warrior by the powers of StarClan.

"I can't believe it!" Rainpaw exclaimed, pulling her from her thoughts. "After all of our hard work, we finally get to become warriors!"

Skypaw nodded in agreement. Shadepaw chimed in with, "I thought the day would never come."

"Well, it finally has," Skypaw meowed, genuine happiness echoing in her voice. "And I couldn't be more excited!"

Skypaw was about to tell her sisters the miraculous recovery she had made during her assessment when a familiar, raspy voice called out her name. "Skypaw!" It meowed. "Did you forget about me?"

Skypaw turned to see no other than Appleleaf. Skypaw erupted into purrs when she saw the pride and delight in the old tom's eyes. He had obviously heard that she had passed her final assessment.

"Of course not," Skypaw responded, warmly. "I was just about to come see you-"

"I know you've been busy, Skypaw," Appleleaf meowed, shrugging it off. "I am very happy for you. It's clear to everyone in the Clan that you have worked hard during your apprenticeship, and that you will make a fine warrior."

"Thank you, Appleleaf," Skypaw meowed, sincerely. "Hopefully now that I won't be cramming in all my training, I can make more time to visit you in the elders' den." Guilt pricked at her paws. She knew that training wasn't the reason why she hadn't visited her old friend in awhile. It was because she was spending all of her free time with Hawkspirit and trying to unravel the prophecy's complicated message.