We all lost

~From ashes to ashes, from dust to dust~

Y/N's heart was thumping in her chest. Her throat was dry, her breath laboured. All around her there were ashes. She was alone, desperate to find someone.

Anyone.

Where were they? Did they do it? Did they defeat Thanos? Was it all over?

Please let it be over, Y/N thought she looked desperately at her surroundings, let it be done with.

The last thing Y/N remembered was Tony and Peter telling her to stay with Happy in New York.

Peter was worried, scared that something would happen to her and that it would all be his fault. He was so distraught, he had even asked Happy to take care of her whilst he was gone.

They didn't tell her where they were going.

Nothing, not even a single hint dropped.

But Y/N had known they were going to Thanos. She had guessed it the second she had seen Tonys face. She had always known that the day would come where the Avengers would have to confront him.

Y/N had begged to help but she was only a lab partner to Tony, she couldn't possibly help fight Thanos.

And so she was left alone, safely in the hands of Happy until one of the Avengers returned.

But when everything had turned to chaos, people turning to dust in front of her very eyes whilst others screamed for help, cried, fell to the ground, looked around in horror and confusion, Happy had run to help an injured young man. 

With people running in all directions, pushing and trampling, thinking it would help keep them alive, Y/N was helplessly pulled amongst the crowd.

She wasn't able to find Happy after that.

She couldn't find anyone. In all of this silent chaos, these ashes, the debris of a fallen city.

All Y/N could do was walk around helplessly and hope that someone would appear, that she would see a familiar face before her.

For now, she was only surrounded by a desolate city. An apocalyptic scene of New York City. Empty streets that seemed to stretch for miles. Overturned cars, broken shop windows, trampled papers and fallen coins laying on the ground. 

It felt like hours had passed, and she found herself lost, cold and miserable. She found herself alone in the vast expanse of nothingness, ashes and dust.  

Something was wrong.

And Y/N could do nothing about it. She was useless.

She only shivered, calling for help, for anyone to come and get her.

She called for someone to tell her it was okay, that the world was safe, that everyone was safe. She wanted Peter, Nat or Steve to engulf her into a warm comforting hug and tell her it was just a nightmare. She wanted Tony to come along with a grin and say that they defeated Thanos, that this was just some sort of vision. A distant nightmare.

But there came no reply and soon, her hope began to extinguish and turn to despair. Y/N's voice became hoarse, tears began to stream to her face. The wind howled as ashes scattered everywhere, not a single sign of human activity in sight.

"Where are they?" she whispered to herself weakly clambering over the piles of debris.

Y/N suddenly noticed the dusty and battered sign of the public library she used to go to with Peter.