Chapter 10 | Hearts & Bones

Start from the beginning

She smiled and left, making sure to leave the door closed and that's when I turned back to look at Zane to see his head down.

"Zane..." I called him

"Hm." he still kept his head down.

"I'm sorry" This time, I put my head down as I saw his rise.

"For what?" He asked, confused.

"For making you do all of this." I sighed.

There was silence for a few seconds so I looked up to see him making his way over to me. 

"I am the one that chose to do this. You never made me do anything I didn't want to do from the beginning. So, there's really nothing for you to apologize about."

He took a seat on the chair that was now just across from me and took out his phone that was ringing and after looking at the caller ID, he showed it to me and I saw, 'Mother-in-law.'

I held out my hand for him to give it to me and he gladly did. I picked it up and said, 

"Mama?"

"Ya Iman! You have a phone for a reason! Why won't you pick it up! You won't even call me and it's already been three days since you've been there!"

I winced at how loud she was yelling at me and distanced the phone just a little from my ears.

"Mama, I'm sorry. I've really been so busy."

"You've been so busy to forget your mother?" 

I laughed and said, "Of course not. But, I just didn't have the circumstance. How are you? How's Zaynab?"

"She's fine and I'm fine. Did you meet your in-laws? How are they? Do you think we're going to be able to get along?"

She sounded excited but I worried about her reaction if she were to find out that she was going to have the ruler of Dubai as her in-law.

"Yes, they're really welcoming and caring. They've taken good care of me here." I replied.

"Oh dear. I can't wait to meet them." She exclaimed. 

"Yeah..." 

"Well, I'm going to leave you to your business. You better come back safe." She sounded worried which only brought my heart down. 

"Alright, mama. You stay safe too. Let me know when you need anything."

"Hmhmm"

With that, she hung up and I gave the phone back to Zane. Just as I was about to ask him a question, there was a knock on the door and it opened, revealing Dr. Amira. 

"Alright, Zane, I'm gonna ask you to step out of the room. You can just stand by the door while we do her x-ray."

Zane nodded at her instructions and soon, she started to put on a very heavy apron-like thing, only, except, it was made of a different fabric and it was black. She too, put one on herself and pulled out a part of the machine that her assistants brought with her.

"Hold your leg steady." She said. 

It was not like I could feel it...

I heard a snap and soon, they took another one and pulled the part of the machine back. 

"Alright, we're just gonna look at the results now..."

She looked down at the screen of the machine and while she was at it, she told Zane, 

"You can come back if you want. We're done."

He did so, without a word and stood right next to the doctor, looking at the X-ray being presented on the screen. It took a couple seconds as they looked closely and I waited until Dr. Amira looked up and told me,