31. Fried Chicken

1019 Words excluding (A/N) I don't own Magic Kaito~ and I seriously couldn't come up with a better title...

I hope you enjoy~

The blond frowned when the doves led him towards an abandoned warehouse, he knew that Kid must have at least some safe houses stashed around the city, however this location didn't seem right.

'It's too far from any potential heist locations and it's too far for Kaito to go there often without seeming suspicious'

There was no possible reason for the magician to suddenly come here, unless he had been tailing someone. With a frown, he scoped the area.

*

"Now everyone, I'm sure you're all excited to witness the sacrifice" Dr.Kalos announced as he raised both hands up, he was covered in a black cloak and the other's surrounding the pit were dressed in the same attire. A loud murmur of agreement ripples through the room.

Shinichi grimaced, he didn't want to deal with a bunch of cultists, especially with Kaito still out of action. The fact that he'd been unconscious for hours was concerning.

"Now" Dr.Kalos paused before continuing, allowing the murmurs to quiet down. "Once we set the blaze, we must completely seal the room to prevent their holy spirits from escaping, after several hours the spirits will be bound to the ashes no longer able to escape. Every exit is sealed except from the one we are to exit from, unfortunately we are unable to witness the actual burning, however we may consume their ashes and ascend to the heavens afterwards"

Shinichi felt sick, blue eyes glancing towards the magician, a finger twitched, causing him to suck in a breath. Kaito wasn't dead, but he wasn't sure if he'd be any help. He tensed when he heard a small hissing sound as hurried footsteps left.

*

He was hot, so very hot. Kaito tried to take in a fresh breath only to wheeze in pain, the air scorched his lungs as his ribs ached from the action. "Kuroba?" Shinichi's voice was slightly scratchy, relief flashing through him.

'Where?...'

The air was hot, almost burning as he opened his eyes, all he could see was a world of colours. "Kuroba get up and help!" The magician turned his head towards the sound of the voice, all he could see was a skin coloured blur surrounded by shades of orange, red, and black.

'I know that voice...'

Kaito slowly sat up, each movement a deliberate effort to make, the voice a null background noise as he shook his head in an attempt to clear it. A soft groan escaped his lips as he managed to further jumble his vision.

'What was I doing? And why is that person distressed?'

"KID HELP!" The coupling of his midnight persona's name and the plea for help brought Kaito into focus. He scrambled on his hands and knees towards the cry for help, not really caring about his blurred vision. Someone needed help, he needed to help them. He let out an undignified yelp as he stumbled over a body.

"Finally..." Shinichi breathed as the magician awkwardly moved off of him. The identity of the person finally clicked in Kaito's head.

"Kudo?" He inquired, trying to make out the detective's face but failing. The sleuth frowned at the unsure tone.

'Why is he here? Where is here?'

"Kuroba, can you somehow free me?" Shinichi asked, the metal was beginning to burn from the heat. He tried to ignore the flames that were slowly lapping towards them. It seemed like the wood had been slightly fireproofed.

"I'll try..." Kaito replied softly, he was so confused. "I can't see anything but blurry colours" The magician admitted as he shakily moved his fingers towards the blur he was convinced was Shinichi.

*

Shinichi frowned at the new information, Kaito's head wound wasn't really working in their favour. He figured that the only reason the teen was functioning so well was because he had appealed to Kaito's subconscious need to save people in danger. He cringed when he felt fingers brush against his stomach before they recoiled away. "Sorry" The magician breathed.

The sleuth rolled his eyes. "It's fine we both know you're not interested in me. We're both naked and you can't see. I'm attached to the ground by bands" Shinichi replied.

'At least he's modest enough to pull away'

"We are?" Kaito inquired, as he searched along the other's side until he came across metal. Shaky fingers trailed along the metal, after a few moments he stopped. "It's bolted, I can't do anything without tools" He lowered his head. "I'm sorry"

Shinichi resisted the urge to suck in a breath as he closed his eyes. Kaito was only human, it wasn't his fault. "I understand" Shinichi replied softly.

'We're both going to die here, Kuroba is in no shape to escape even if I somehow managed to convince him to leave me behind'

"Can I ask what's going on?" The magician asked gently, the heat was getting worse, making his dizziness worse.

Blue eyes looked into unfocused indigos. "We were captured by a cult who wishes to consume our burned ashes" The sleuth huffed. "Apparently consuming our ashes will make them ascend to the heavens"

'I've always hated dealing with cultists and their extreme and messed up ideas'

*

"I'm so sorry..." Kaito's words scratchy as he clenched a fist.

'I must have been seen when I ran from Saguru that one time... Kudo was mistaken for me...'

The sleuth scoffed. "I'm pretty sure this wasn't your intention"

*

Shortly after witnessing a large group clad in black cloaks hurriedly leave the warehouse, smoke began to leak out through the windows.

'Is Kaito in there?'

He whipped out his phone, calling both the police and fire department. His instincts screamed at him to run in there and find the brunette, however how was he to know whether or not Kaito had already left with the crowd.

'Please have already slipped out and escaped...'

The magician wouldn't have wanted him to run into a burning building with no proof that he was still inside. The logical part of his mind agreed, however his feelings didn't.

'When I see that idiot, I'm going to put a tracking device on him!'

Me: remember~ Hakuba is a more reserved detective than Hattori and Shinichi, much less impulsive than them.

He doesn't know if Kaito is actually in there or not and rushing into a burning building with no back up is just plain stupid if your unfamiliar with the layout. He'd just waste the rescue team's time if they have to search for him as well as Kaito.