JADE

You wake up, and wonder if it's really morning or if it's the middle of the night: the sky is dark and cloudy, and you can feel the rainstorm coming. This cancels your plans for a walk outside on your day off, so you shift in bed to turn your back to the window. Your boyfriend, who also woke up a minute ago, looks at you and smiles, wishing you a good morning.

"Ugh, what's good about it," you reply.

"Damn, someone's cranky this morning!" Shawn laughs.

"Is it even morning? There's literally no sun to tell."

"Oh yeah, I forgot how you got on rainy days..." Shawn replies, turning away from you.

"What's that supposed to mean?" you ask, propping yourself up on your elbow.

"I just mean that you very obviously get your good mood from the sun," he says, looking up at the ceiling.

He cracks up, and you fake being offended as you turn your back to him again and close your eyes to try and go back to sleep.

You must have succeeded, because you wake up later to the same gloomy Toronto views, and you hear noise in the kitchen. You get up, wrap yourself in the blanket that you keep at the foot of your bed, and walk towards the noise. You see Shawn, wearing the kiss the chef apron you got him as a gag gift last Christmas, standing in front of the stove.

"Uhm, who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?" you ask as you walk up to do as the apron says.

Shawn laughs at your comment, but isn't surprised. He's not exactly known for his cooking skills.

"Well, I can't force the sun to come out, so I thought I'd brighten your day another way. How hard can eggs be? Sunny side up! Get it?" he says, smiling at his own cleverness.

You look at the pan and see runny yolks, and next to it, what looks like the shells of 6 eggs. This obviously isn't his first try.

"Harder than you thought, apparently," you say, unsuccessfully hiding your laughter.

"Oh shut up..." he waves you out of the kitchen.

You sit on the other side of the counter and look at him as he finishes preparing your breakfast. He places the plate in front of you, and you see scrambled eggs, and a few, shakily cut, pieces of avocado.

"What happened to sunny side up?" you ask, knowing full well what happened.

"Do you want this or not?" Shawn asks, trying to stay serious. "Because you can also make your own peanut butter toast if you prefer!" he continues, grabbing your plate.

"No, no! I'm good, thank you!" you laugh, grabbing the other side of the plate with both hands and pulling it back towards you.

You smile at him, thankful, and he smiles back, proud. He bends over the counter to kiss you, and you happily meet him.

He had also made himself a plate, so he sits next to you to enjoy it. You both eat, and this does put you in a bit of a better mood. You still can't get as cheerful as you usually are, and Shawn notices that.

"Okay, what do you wanna do, today?" he asks, cheerful for two.

"Well, I wanted to walk outside in the fresh air, but that's not happening."

He looks at you, understanding he'll have to come up with something on his own.

"Well, how about I let you pamper me? You've always wanted to have a spa day together, right?"

Your face lights up at the idea of a comfy day in with Shawn. You love that he remembered that, so you jump excitedly in your chair and smile.

"Yes! Let's do that! Yes! Oh, you have the best ideas."

You finish your breakfast in a hurry, suddenly motivated by your plans for the day. Shawn laughs and clears the plates. He's cleaning the mess he made in the kitchen while you bring all sorts of jars and creams and masks and brushes and sponges to the living room. He joins you and sits on the couch, a bit lost in all of it.

"Whoa, okay, someone's enthusiasm came back!"

You look at him, a smile on your face, and take his hand to lead him to the bathroom.

"Okay, Shawn, you know I love the cute curl that falls on your face, but we're gonna need to find you a headband to push it away," you tell him, bringing your hand up to his forehead and pushing back said curl.

"Head band of the day! It's the head band of the day! Push your locks away, with the head band of the day!" Shawn sings, imitating John Legend perfectly.

You laugh, surprised he even knows that little jingle.

"Does that make me your Chrissy Teigen?" you ask him.

"Oh, no doubt," he replies, planting a kiss on your lips.

You both get in your spa-day attire, locks pushed away, and wash your faces above the sink. Then, you make your way to the living room. Shawn picks up a product and opens it, but you take it from his hands.

"No, babe, that's a moisturizer, it's the last step!"

"Oh my god, Jade, there's a specific order to all this, too?"

"Yes! Let me handle that," you laugh.

You choose a mud mask, open the jar and pick up a brush.

"Okay, look at me, and don't move," you say, while plunging the brush in.

You spread a small amount on Shawn's cheek.

"Ah! It's so cold!" he exclaims, pulling his face back.

"Well, it's mud! What did you expect?" you say through laughter.

"I don't know, not this... Okay, I'm ready now," he says, bracing himself.

"Shawn, you can't wrinkle your face like that, I won't be able to spread it evenly!"

He softens his expression, eyes still closed. You smile and gently paint the mask onto his face. Once that's done, he opens his eyes and looks at you, still smiling. He playfully gets close to kiss you, but you move away, not wanting the mud all over your face.

"Shawn!"

You both giggle, and he takes the jar and brush from your hands. He does his best at applying the mask to your skin, but gets it all in your eyebrows and the mud is uneven on your face.

You make funny faces as you wait for it to dry a bit. When it's time, you both wash it off each other in the bathroom, trying not to make too much of a mess. You are painfully unsuccessful, but the laughs are worth it. You get back to the living room, and surprise Shawn by spritzing some toner in his face. He gasps and throws himself on you so you both fall on the couch in the embrace.

He brings his wet face to yours and kisses you softly. And again. And again. Just as you're getting into it, you feel his hand try to take the spritz bottle from yours, and you strengthen your grip on it, gasping against Shawn's lips.

"Ah! You thought you could distract me with your soft lips? Better luck next time, Mendes," you say as you bring the bottle up, threatening to spritz again.

"Why do I still think I can outsmart you?" he asks rhetorically.

You smile and look up, feigning modesty, and immediately burst out in laughter. In doing so, you threw your head back, but Shawn grabs the back of your neck gently and pulls you in another kiss.

It's safe to say your day will be much brighter than you thought.

△