Chapter 12

You and Error join Cross in his universe, which now contains Underfell's Snowdin. Nightmare is nowhere to be found. This concept still makes you a bit uneasy, stealing code from AUs and putting them here. It's okay though, right? You think, It'll all work out in the end. The two of you stand by Sans and Papyrus' house while Cross heads inside. As soon as he leaves, Error makes a 'tsk' under his breath and turns to you.

"I'd kill to destroy this place," He mutters, shoving his hands into his pockets. You glare at him, crossing your arms.

"Well, that's not gonna happen," You say, your voice dangerously quiet.

"Come on, he's an anomaly. This whole place shouldn't even exist," Error grumbles.

"Why did you come then?" You ask angrily, "Go ahead and leave if you want to destroy more universes!" With that, you storm into the skelebros' new house and leave Error outside. You're about to talk to Cross when you stop in your tracks, frozen. Your shaking hands cover your mouth and your eyes widen at what you see. Cross stands in the middle of the living room with a bone piercing through his left eye socket, dark fluid falls down his face like blood.

"C-Cross..?" You ask, trembling. Surprisingly, he looks unfazed. Using his magic, he makes the bone disappear and grins shakily, his pupils almost invisible because of how small they are. He turns to you and you quickly realize something. His eye isn't red anymore!

  "Finally...he's knocked out," Cross says to himself. You approach him and tilt your head like a confused puppy.

  "Who's knocked out?" You ask.

  "Chara," Cross replies, "he was sharing my body with me, it's a long story,"

  "Huh," Is all you say to that, unsure how to respond.

  "The little brat was trying to take over," Cross continues, "I barely stopped him," Your conversation is interrupted by Error barging in, an irritated expression on his face. He's about to make some sarcastic remark when Nightmare appears behind Cross, looking furious. You step away because of the horrifying look in Nightmare's eyes.

Error's POV

I don't even think when I put my arm protectively in front of (Y/N), keeping her away from Nightmare. I ready my magic just in case and I feel (Y/N) do the same behind me. She's really extraordinary, isn't she? I shake off this thought quickly and focus on my main task: protecting her. As Cross and Nightmare argue, I turn my head to face (Y/N) and feel my face heat up at how close she is to me. I hate physical contact, I really do, but with her it's...different.

  "You doin' okay?" I whisper, not wanting to catch Nightmare's attention. She nods slowly even though I know she's lying. She's terrified, I can see it in her eyes.

"I've got you, it's alright," I breathe, trying my best to sound comforting despite my glitchy voice. I guess it works, because she smiles at me. She's never really smiled at me...it melts my crumbling soul when I finally see it. It lights up my entire world, I can't help but smile back at her. I stare into her eyes, her kind and beautiful eyes. She looks back at me, wide-eyed and innocent. I sigh and tilt my head, my cheeks glowing yellow. Dammit...I can't be falling for this girl. I squeeze my eyes shut and rip my gaze away from her, turning my focus back to Nightmare and Cross.

Nightmare is nowhere to be seen and Cross stands by himself next to a newly broken mirror, a blank expression on his face.

  "We're going to a pacifist run in Underswap," He says shortly, pulling up his hood and teleporting away. I awkwardly step away from (Y/N), clearing my throat.

  "Let's head over," I say, holding out my arm for her to grab onto. Instead of gripping my forearm like she normally does, (Y/N) laces her fingers through mine. I hide my burning face in my scarf as we teleport to Underswap. What's she doing to me...

Normal POV

You give Error's hand a little squeeze. He seems like he's sick! You think nervously, His face was burning up but he hid it in his scarf..is he getting chills? Can skeletons get chills? You push your worries aside as the two of you arrive in Underswap next to Cross, who's crouching behind a pile of large rocks observing something. You sneak over to join him.

The first thing that catches your eye is Papyrus. He's helping some monsters out of the Underground as they reach the surface, amazed expressions on their faces. You turn to Cross, who has a faraway look in his eyes.

  "The code here..." he mutters, "it's so similar to mine it's almost scary," You put a hand on his shoulder.

  "It'll all work out in the end, Cross," You say, reassuring the skeleton with a smile. Suddenly, Papyrus looks in your direction. Your fast reflexes kick in and you dart behind a nearby bush where Error was crouched behind. Cross, on the other hand, stands still and stares up at Papyrus, awestruck. He must be thinking about his own Papyrus... You think sadly.

  "What're you doing over here, bro?" You hear Papyrus ask. Cross says nothing, he just gazes up at the tall skeleton. Your eavesdropping is interrupted by a light tap on your shoulder. You turn to Error, who has a concerned look on his face.

  "What do you think Nightmare and Cross were fighting about back there?" He whispers. You shrug in response.

  "I have no idea," You reply, "it must've been serious, though. Cross seemed pretty shaken when he teleported here," Error only nods. You both look back over to where Cross was to find that he's nowhere in sight.

  "Welp, we've lost him," Error says carelessly, "what now?" You stand up from your crouched position and brush off your borrowed sweatpants.

  "Look for him, obviously," You reply, stepping out of your hiding spot. Error follows closely behind you. The two of you approach the clearing where everyone's standing cautiously. Your eyes widen at the sight before you. Your arm lashes out in front of Error, stopping him in his tracks. He makes an annoyed sound and you motion for him to be quiet.

Cross stands in front of Queen Toriel, who's offering him a slice of pie with a warm smile on her face. You hold your breath as he stares at it longingly, wondering what he's going to do next. He looks like he's about to accept the pie...but he does the exact opposite. Cross slaps Toriel across the face, creating a gash on her cheek and knocking the plate out of her hands. Asgore rushes over and wraps a protective arm around her, glaring at Cross.

This is where the chaos begins.

***