Maddie: Chapter 5

Maddie

Niall had given Piper a ride back to her apartment.

“Do you need a ride?” Harry offered.

“No.” I said. “I don’t.” I smiled at him.

“Are you driving home?”

I nodded, lying. I didn’t have a car. I didn’t have money for one.

“Okay, let me walk you to it.” He said.

“No, there’s no need from that.” I stopped him.

He squinted his eyes, now studying me. “You don’t have a car do you?”

“I do.” I crossed my arms. “I just don’t want you to walk me to it.” I hoped I sounded convincing.

“Okay then.” He sighed. “I guess I’ll see you sometime soon?”

I nodded. “Sure.”

“Bye.” He smiled, hesitating before turning to leave. Once he walked around the corner I ran for the bus stop. I sat on the bench, looking around me nervously making sure no strangers were getting too close.

I remembered waiting one day at a bus stop when I was sixteen in my town. I had run off and was almost free from my parents when my dad found me. He dragged me home and beat me and then locked me in my room the rest of the day. I never tried to leave again. Until I turned eighteen of course.

I felt tears slipping from my lower eye lids and i held my face in my hands.

After a minute or two a car pulled up, the person inside rolled down the window.

Harry.

“Maddie, get in.” He said softly.

I shook my head, eliciting more tears.

He got out of the car and approached me, taking my hand a bringing me towards the car. I ripped my wrists away from his grasp and stomped to his car myself. He looked at me surprised and confused. But finally he got back in the driver’s seat.

“Where to?”

I told him the name of the hotel. His expression didn’t falter. I wonder what he thought about my living in a hotel.

I wiped away the tears, not wanting to be questioned.

But of course my prayers of that were swerved.

“What’s wrong, Maddie?” Harry asked, looking concerned.

“Nothing.” I said, unwilling to talk about it. My past.

“Maddie, please-“

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I raised my voice slightly.

He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel, clenching his jaw.

“Maddie. I need to know.” He said slowly and sternly.

“You don’t need to know anything.” I replied.

“Well I want to.”

“I don’t want you to.” I refused to give in.

“You’re crying in my car. I have the right to know why!” He exclaimed exasperated.

“Then tell me why you and Niall are sneaking around.” I said.

He froze, his eyes moved slowly to meet mine. I couldn’t tell exactly what emotion was in them. Danger? Sadness? Caution? But I saw fear. And I know it was there. “It’s nothing.”

I laughed. “Sure. That’s what everyone says. But it’s not ‘nothing’. It’s something important, isn’t it?”

He looked at his lap and shook his head. “It’s not important, Maddie.”

“Well then neither is what you need to know.” I rolled my eyes.

He sighed deeply, digging his nails in the steering wheel, obviously filling up with anger and annoyance.

But I didn’t say anything. We were pulling into the hotel parking lot anyways.

I got out of the car, expecting him to speed away. But to my surprise he got out of the car and followed me.

I acted like I didn’t notice or care though I did deeply. I didn’t want him seeing my “house”.

I got my key out once I reached my floor and headed to my room. I was about to unlock the door, my key outstretched, when I felt hands grab my waist and turn me around and a pair of lips met mine.

After I realized what was going on I pushed Harry away. “Stop!” I yelled, shoving him again.

“Come on, Maddie!” He threw his hands up. “Did you not feel something?!”

I glared at him. I saw Niall and Piper watching us but when they saw me looking at them they turned the other way and continued their talk. I focused back on Harry.

“No.” I denied it.

He slouched. “You’re a bad liar.” A cheeky grin appeared, tugging at the corners of his lips. This boy changed his facial expressions every second, I swore.

“Well I didn’t. And it’s best you get going.” I snapped.

“Fine.” He snapped right back.

“I hate you.” I scoffed.

“Well, maybe I hate you too!” He crossed his arm and took off down the hall and to the elevator, ignoring Niall and Piper.

I furrowed my eyebrows and walked in my room, slamming the door behind me.

The truth was… I felt everything in that kiss.