-4-

The light from the window was casting lines across your face as you woke up. Sherlock was no longer next to you and you couldn't help but miss his presence. The absence of nightmares last night was something you were very glad about. This was the first morning in a long time that you woke up feeling rested and ready for the day.

Rolling over and pulling the sheets with you made you remember what you had discovered last night when your stomach started doing flips. You knew that you were going to throw up as sensation became more intense and you dashed into the bathroom. Forgetting the door, you leaned over the toilet and absolutely disgusted yourself. Human beings were disgusting.

Sherlock entered the bathroom once you had flushed and sat leaning against the wall. He came bearing gifts of water and gravol before leaving without a word. The sound of him in the kitchen informed you that he was making breakfast. He never made breakfast.

You brushed your teeth before you left the bathroom and the taste of the mint was welcomed. The smell wafting from the kitchen though was even better than your vomit-free mouth. Sherlock had only made food once for you and it was some of the best you had ever eaten.

Today, he made omelettes. Which happened to be the best omelettes you had ever eaten. Although you knew that you hated eggs, you couldn't stop eating them. They were just so good. It dawned on you that you should thank Sherlock for making you food but the look on his face evaporated the words inside you. He knew and the eggs were just to confirm.

"How long have you been...?" Your voice trailed off as you gestured towards him. What you were trying to ask was obvious though.

"A week." His voice revealed nothing about what he was feeling.

Clamping your eyes shut, you turned away from him and rested your elbows on the table. The shame you felt was overwhelming but you kept the tears in by pressing the palms of your hands into your eyes. You wanted to scream and fix the problem ASAP, but you knew you couldn't do that. You may not want the child and although it came about in the worst way, you couldn't end it's life before it even got a chance to live it.

The detective crouched next to you and turned you to face him. "Tell John."

"W-what?"

"I am of no use when it comes to emotional support."

It clicked in your head that the closeness between the two of you the past week was him just confirming his suspicions. The heart inside your chest started to throb with the wanting of it. Not knowing when, or how, you realized that you had enjoyed being close to Sherlock Holmes. So it hurt more than expected when you knew he wasn't doing it out of caring for you. He was just trying to solve another case.

"I think I need to go for a walk." Standing quickly, you made your way to your bedroom where you got dressed in a hurry. The need for some space allowed you to forget to grab a coat or bring your phone as you stepped onto the sidewalk. The wind didn't seem to bother you as walked down the street. Making a few random turns that you were not remembering.

Aaron flashed through your head.

"I've always wanted a family." His bright smile stood out against the night.

"Yeah?"

"One that was all my own. Blood and all."

You made a noise of agreement as you snuggled closer to him. The night was warm so you had decided that the two of you wanted to sleep on the balcony. Most of the town was quiet but every so often an echo of laughter could be heard bouncing down the street. The neighbours had thrown a party just a block away but Aaron had just got back from a trip and the two of you wanted to spend it together.