Chapter 52

Kindly click on the ⭐ button to show your supports and comment your thoughts. Also share with your loved ones. Follow me for updates ;-)

*

Kara’s POV

*
            “Then you surely remember we already sorted out the expenditure with-” I stopped when I noticed Adrian was just staring at me, her eyes glazed over. “Hey!”

Adrian heaved a sigh and typed on her phone. Then she shifted in her seat. “I think I’m going out Kara.”

“What? Why?” I scrunched up my face in disbelief at her sudden decision.

“I... I don’t feel too good.”

“About what?”

“Everything. Anything. I just, I need to go out like, right now.” She groaned.

My eyes narrowed at her desperate tone. It left me gobsmacked, to say the least. “We planned to study together this night. How the hell can you ditch me now?”

“You sound like your boyfriend just left yo-” she froze and her eyes shimmered with unshed tears. Biting her lower lip really hard, she nodded and took an exhale.

“You can’t leave again.” I tried to make her understand.

“Jeez, relax. I’ll be back soon.” She did a skyward eye roll at my tone. I sunk into the lower part of the chair I was resting my back on, wondering if I was going to lose this fight yet again.

“We have test to read for. How dare you!”

Her expression screamed boredom. “Stop your exaggerating, miss nose-in-the-book. I’ll be back tomorrow. I just...need a break.”

My shoulders slumped. Whenever she said those words, I knew what she meant and I’d have to drop the argument no matter what. It meant she was going to be away, again.

It was already two months since Lucas had died but she was still hurting as the first day he left this world. She’d never tell me but I knew she was. I couldn’t blame her. I knew what it felt like to lose someone you love.

I lost my father years ago and each time I remembered him, till present, I would still feel the longing for him. The memories we shared were beautiful, a loving father-daughter relationship that so many out there didn’t have the privilege to enjoy.

And I’d never not treasure it, even now when he was long gone.

“I really can’t change your mind...can I?” I eyed her suspiciously.

“Nope.”

Adrian had been like this since New Year.

She would just go out, sometimes for hours and other times for a day or two. She would come back home happy and her usual self. Then she would slip into this unattached state after a while and make a dash for heaven knows where again.

“Okay.” I muttered, resigned.

She did an eye roll. “I wasn’t seeking your permission, just telling you.” She got up and sauntered into the room like a drunk.

“Cagna.” I muttered at her sassy comment. My hands went around me and I heaved a depressing sigh. Now I would be alone for the whole night, and maybe for the better part of tomorrow. Great!

I went to take a shower and prepared myself for what the night held. I would have to heat up the pizza, get the ice cream out of the fridge, heat up the popcorns a bit and get the pack of gummy bears from the room. The thought of munching on all these while reading alone made me salivate. I mean, who didn’t love eating while reading overnight?!