alternate universe

In which Grayson doesn't die. I felt kinda bad for that ending, so I tried to make up for it.  :)

July 25, 2027, ten years later

The sun is slowly setting down. I am on a sunbed, reading a book. I have my favorite bathing suit on, a pair of sunglasses on my eyes, and a beige sun hat. The warm breeze makes the whole scene ten times better.

Chelsea sits next to me, watching the little kids. They are playing close to the shore, making sandcastles.

"Stella, stop throwing sand in Ben's hair!" my sister yelles at the kids. I chuckle, looking up.

"He threw first!" the little girl said, frowning.

"I don't care who starts, stop throwing sand at each other!"

"You really told 'em, Chels." I joked, closing my book.

"YOu rEalLy ToLd 'eM, cHElS." she mocked me. I roll my eyes. After all these years, she is still a kid. "Ben, I saw you! Stop it or we're going inside!"

"Fine!"

I laugh, shaking my head. It's been four years, and I still don't know what I'm doing.

I was watching the little three devils play in the sand, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. His soft lips touch my cheek and kiss me shortly. I look up and see my beautiful husband, Grayson.

"Hey, babe. Sorry, they only had chocolate." he hands me the ice cream.

"It's okay, thank you."

We've been married for five years. The most amazing years in my life. A year after our wedding, we had Chase. He is the cutest baby in the entire world. He has my eyes and Grayson's hair. He is turning four next month, on August 18.

Then, when I thought things couldn't get better, we had Stella. She looks entirely like Grayson. His eyes, his smile, his cute little dimples. She turned two in April. She loves her older brother, Chase. He thinks she is annoying. But, at the end of the day, we all know he is going to be the best older brother.

I am starting my fourth year as a resident in Chicago. It is hard to live far away from Chelsea, Ethan, and little Ben, but my residency and I weren't thinking the same. We try to visit each other pretty often, but it's pretty hard.

I finally got to take a free week, so Grayson and I decided to visit them. They live in a beach house in Malibu. Just like Hannah Montana. Ugh, I just wish I could come in LA for the rest of my residency, but it's hard to switch hospitals when you're in my position.

I feel a little bad for making Grayson move with me to Chicago. I know he always wanted to be Ethan's neighbour, and for our kids to grow up together. But, he said that he would do anything for me. I know he is not entirely happy in Chicago, but I promised that when I finish my residency, we will move to Malibu and live his dream.

"I think it's time to head inside." Ethan suggested.

"What's the point in having a beach house and not spending how much time you want on the beach?"

"Sorry, I forgot that where you're from there is no sun." he tried to roast me, but he failed. Miserably.

"Just so you know, we have warm days too. The only difference is that there are also rainy and windy days."

We are interrupted by loud crying. Shit, the kids.

My sister and I stand up and run to our children. Stella was crying, and Chase was sitting in the sand with his arms across his chest. Ben was just watching the two.