"What do you mean, on the outside?" Lynda demanded.

"Here we go." Strood cried, "The screen suddenly changed from the eye to the white corridor, he and Lynda rushed back over to the couch sitting down.

"What are they waiting for? Why don't they just let her go?" the Doctor demanded.

"Stop it," Lynda snapped at him, "it's not funny."

"Eviction in five," The computerized voice returned. "four, three, two, one." 

A beam comes down from the ceiling and hits Crosbie. After a few moments, she vanishes in a puff of smoke.

The Doctor leaned forward in his seat, frowning at what he had just witnessed.

"What was that?" the Doctor asked.

"Disintegrator beam." Strood answer hoarsely.

"She's been evicted." Lynda explained, "From life."

"Are you insane?" the Doctor yelled, standing up, "You just step right into the disintegrator? Is it that important, getting your face on the telly? Is it worth dying for?"

"You're talking like we've got a choice!" Lynda cried, standing up from the couch.

"But I thought you had to apply." the Doctor faulted.

"Don't be so stupid. That's how they played it centuries back."

"You get chosen whether you like it or not." Lynda snapped. "Everyone on Earth is a potential contestant. The transmat beam picks you out at random. And it's non-stop. There are sixty Big Brother houses running all at once."

"How many? Sixty?" the Doctor choked.

"They've had to cut back." Strood shrugged, "It's not what it was."

"It's a charnel house!" the Doctor snapped. "What about the winners? What do they get?"

"They get to live."

"Is that it?"

"Well, isn't that enough?" Lynda snapped.

"Lindsey is out there!" the Doctor said as he walked over to the door that Crosbie went through, "So is Rose. They got caught in the transmat. She's a contestant. Time I got out. That other contestant, er, Linda with an I. She was forcibly evicted for what?"

"Damage to property," Lynda answered.

"What, like this?" the Doctor pointed his sonic screwdriver at the camera on the ceiling and it exploded into oblivion.

· ━━━━━ ·⚘· ━━━━━ ·

Lindsey groaned as she felt herself being carried in someone's arms.

"She's waking up." she heard the man's voice, she pushed herself out of the man's arms causing her to fall to the floor. She cried out when she landed on her wrist.

"Shit." the man cursed, he reached down to grab her

Lindsey ran down the corridor out to an opening, she looked around for a moment at the rather familiar outlay. 

"What the hell?" she muttered.

"Hey! Get back here!" she heard the man running up behind her. She panicked as she darted behind a stack of metal crates.

"I know you're here, girly." the man taunted as he reached the room, "Come out and I won't hurt you."

Lindsey bit her lip in an attempt to stop herself from making a sudden noise. She caught sight of a piece of metal that was laying on the floor beside her. She gently picked it up hoping not to make a sound as she flung the metal rod in another direction.