Chapter 16

''You....you got chosen?''

Lou was speechless. This was shocking. Nolan....was chosen.  He went to the Big World. 

Did he have a child? 

Lou had to sit down on the floor. He put his hands on his head. He was frozen, couldn't move. Nolan tried to comfort him and put his hand on Lou's shoulder. Lou flinched at the touch. He didn't want his comfort. 

Nolan has went into the Big World, something that Lou will never be able to do. 

Lou sniffled and wiped away tears forming in his eyes, ''how....how did this happen?''

Nolan sat down beside him. He heard Lou's sobbing as he crossed his legs. It pained him to hear those tears. ''I can't tell you. I'm not supposed to.''

Lou looked at him, there were tears running down his face. His eyes were red from crying. Lou didn't know if he should press him for details. He might feel more upset if Nolan's experience was positive. Something else he might think about, knowing he will never get to be put in Nolan's shoes.

Lou sighed, ''Please. Just tell me what it was like. You don't need to say how you got there just....what was it like?''

''Well...it started off great. The parents had given me as a gift. They didn't specify if it was for a birthday or holiday gift. Or at least not to my knowledge. They put me in this bright green bag with purple paper inside it. There was another doll in there with me. I think her name was...Babie?? Bagie? Barbie! That's the name.''

''I waved my hand to her, and said 'hello, my name is Nolan, where are we?' ''

''She was fixing her hair and makeup then told me, ' in a kids room, duh', in an annoying tone.''

''Eventually I felt the bag move. Small hands lifted me and Barbie out of the bag. It was a boy. He looked about 10 or 11. He gave me a smirk. I though 'is this my kid?' before he threw me on the ground.

''On one hand, I was terrified, sad. What was this kid doing? But then I thought of you. If this was my forever place, I can never see you again. Yes I could go back to UglyVille at night, but I wanted to be with a child but with you.''

Lou looked at him. He stopped crying. ''Then the kid picked me up and ran out of the room. I saw Barbie was left on his bed, sitting quite at home. I was confused and scared, where was he taking me?''

''He ran back to the mom and put me in her hands, 'I don't want him anymore' .''

'' 'And why not?' the mom asked. ''

''Look at him! He's shorter, and has a funny green line in his hair. Not like Barbie. She's perfect and skinny.''

Nolan continued, ''The kid threw me back into the bag I was put in earlier.  I was done. I stayed in the bag until it was night. Barbie stopped by, ''Don't take it too hard. You're just...not pretty enough to be a doll for a kid.''

Nolan stopped talking for a moment. Lou held his hand. ''I felt...worthless. like a piece of trash. Not enough to be cared by a kid.''

A tear fell down his face. Lou wiped it away. ''I gave up. Went back to UglyVille.''

Lou put his arms around Nolan and rocked him as he started to cry again. It was the first time Nolan had said his experience to somebody. It was draining. 

Nolan cried and screamed for over an hour. Lou never let go the entire time.