6

It's your fault. All of this is your fault. It's always gonna be your fault. So why even try? Why are you trying to delay it?

I clamped down onto my teeth as I ran. Following Brew as we ran towards the house. The surrounding environment turning into blurry objects. The muscles in my legs pushing off the ground to keep up the speed. The thing helping my legs carry the impact. Lifting them at the right moment so it could hit the ground at the right angle. Giving me an extra boost.

My hands burned, the feeling of blood dampened my hands. The sound of the man's voice was still ringing in my ears. My eyes could still see that acid, poisonous smile. Eroding the counter table as he stared at me. The gun still gently pointed at me, ready to fire at command.

It's my fault. Isn't it?

After about a minute we made it to the house. My lungs were burning as the two of us slowed to a stop. Adrenaline thundered through my veins. Waking up the rest of my body. The shot of adrenaline made the monster jolt up. It wanted more. It only had to wait a little longer. Then it can come out. It can help. It didn't have to think about any of the consequences. All it has to do is change and bite.

Let me out.

The sky was already dying out. The burning orange that lit up the sky was washed out by a blanket of dark violet. Little patches of stars were starting to poke out. At best there were about thirty minutes until the moon comes out.

Let me out. I can handle them. Just let me out.

I pressed my left thumb onto my right palm and pushed into it. A little harder than last time. Trying to freeze out the burning adrenaline before it engulfed my body. Not here. Not now.

Let me out let me out let me out let me out let me out let me out!

Brew's elbow came into sight and nudged my arm. "Hey."

I looked up at him. His eyes still calm and relaxed. Not a shred of anxiety or judgment insight. When will I be able to look like that?

"Take a moment and breathe. We need everyone focused right now."

I nodded back. My lips twitched to form my smile but they couldn't. The stitches were back at the diner under the blood-soaked boots of hunters.

I took in a breath and let it out slowly. The remaining shards of adrenaline dripped off the air I pushed it out. The muscles in my legs calmed down. My heart was settling again. The monster taking note and shrinking back next to my heart. Into its cage sitting patiently as the door remained open.

Show me that you'll protect them.

Brew nodded as he checked over my face. His half-smile showing back up for support. He thumbed over at the porch where Adam was sitting. His face buried into his hands as he slumped over his knees. He was back where we started this morning.

I walked over to him while Brew followed two steps behind. Keeping his distance. This wasn't his pack. This was mine.

"Hey," I said softly, once I was standing over him.

"Hey." Adam croaked back. It was hoarse and splintered like cracked wood.

Gwen's shouts could be heard from inside the house as the hunter screamed. The sound of furniture getting broken covered the air. Brew's face was slowly dropping as he could already picture the damage. It's not the first time the place has been wrecked. But it's been a while. About two years since the last wreckage. And it was back at day one.

"Well if they didn't hear that I think we'll be safe," Brew mumbled, listening on to the hunter's threats.

I sighed as Will and Gwen shouted at each other. The sound of glass shattering scrapped my eardrums. It was as if someone was sharpening a knife on my spine. I hated that sound. It wakes up the ghosts. And that means dead memories.