19.

Saba's POV

I have never thought of selling my paintings ever. I never even thought they were worth it. Not until today. Here's a thing about Zain, he has the ability of making people feel special for who they are and what they are. Shiver rises up in my back when I recall the thought of him being so close to me an hour ago. In my bedroom, I try to convince myself not to think of it anymore. It's not gonna happen again.

I don't deserve a person like Zain. After what I've been through, I don't think Zain deserves me either. And Haya? She will hate me when she finds out I've been raped a month ago and now almost dating her younger brother. It sounds so selfish of me. I don't want to lose my best friend for the sake of my love life that I'm not sure if even lasts for long. "That's it!" I say out loud to myself, "No more seeing Zain. I will only concentrate on the case that I will file against Danish tomorrow. " I put a blanket over me and try to fall asleep.

The next morning I wake up with a headache. It takes me more than fifteen minutes to pull myself back together after I wake up from a stressful sleep. But I take a deep breath and remember the most important task to do today and get out of my bed to get ready.

******

"I want to visit Mr. Salim. " I tell a receptionist on the counter of a police station.

"This way." He points to the left corridor by his side and I nod.

I make my way towards Mr. Salim's office taking big steps. My legs are shaking a little but that feels okay. I stop in front of a wooden polished door that has a black frame hanged over, Senior Head Officer Mr. Salim written in italics. I knock on the door and hold my breath. It unlocks automatically after two seconds and I walk in.

Mr. Salim is sitting on his chair having a cup of coffee and reading newspaper. He looks at me with a kind of expression that feels like he's trying to recognize me. I walk towards his table and sit on the chair.

"Do I know you?" He asks as I close my fists and look at him with confident eyes.

"You came with Zain Hassan Khan to rescue me." I tell him, trying to hide the fear that thought brings to me.

"Oh yeah! Rape victim... I remember that." His words somehow makes me feel uncomfortable.

"I want to file a case against Danish." I tell Mr. Salim who now takes a sip from his coffee and looks at me with serious expression.

"You better file FIR then." He says and I nod. "Give me your statement."

"I want Danish Ahmed to be punished severely for kidnapping me and.... raping me twice. I'm a rape victim and I need justice." My words shatter as they come out of my mouth. Mr. Salim writes the statement on a file then looks at me.

"Your name?" He asks.

"Saba Arif."

"Your age?"

"Twenty-two."

"Any witnesses?" He asks.

"You are my witness. Zain Hassan is the witness! Danish's wife and son are my witnesses!" I snap.

"Good, I like your confidence. " Mr. Salim compliments and I smile.

"Contact?" He asks.

"+92 656 4239876"

"Alright. Expect a call from me soon, Saba. " he tells me and I stand up from my chair.

"Thank you, sir."

"Anytime."

I walk outside Mr. Salim's office, my heart pounding faster than usual. I did what I should do and I must feel good about it, instead I feel scared. Even though I have four powerful witnesses but still I feel like I'm gonna loose.

As I leave the corridor,a few lockups come to my view. My body shivers and my fingers start shaking, my eyes searching for only one person over there. Danish. But I can't find him. Part of me doesn't want to look for him either, so I shake my head and walk outside the police station.

******

"Saba?" My mother calls out from the kitchen as I enter the living room.

"Hey..." I wave at her and sit on the couch, exhale a deep breath.

"Where were you? I woke up at 8:00 a.m, nobody in the house, no note on the table?" She questions and I tap my head slightly.

"I forgot to write a note." I tell her " I went to the police station. "

"Police station? Why?" She asks.

"I've filed a case against Danish." I tell her and her eyes go wide with shock.

"Are you kidding me? You filed a case against him? Haven't you got enough idea of what kind of devilish person he is?" My mother scolds and suddenly I find my confidence getting spoiled again.

"He's devilish, that's why I've filed the case." I clarify but her face expression shows that she's still angry.

"You should have at least asked me! What if he tries to hurt you again? It's not that Zain will be there to rescue you every time you get in trouble! You should have at least thought of him! after all, it's his efforts that you've considered getting out of your room after all these days." My mother yells out. She is particularly right. It was Zain who brought me back to life again. But that doesn't undo the damage Danish caused me.

"Why are you so angry? Seeking justice from court is not a bad thing! He has committed a sin. He should be punished!" I yell back at my mother. She looks at me surprisingly, making me realize that I've done something wrong. Perhaps broken a rule.

"What if he tries to get to you again?" My mother asks worriedly.

"He is in jail. He won't hurt me."

"Its not that easy to get justice Saba. If it were that easy, no woman would have suffered sexual harassment." She explains me kindly.

"Mom, I will get him punished for what he has done. A punish that teaches him a lesson." I say out loud.

"He is already being punished. What else do you want?" She asks and sits on the couch next to me.

"If I don't file a case, he will get out soon." I tell her.

"Its not that I don't support your act. I do. But I am telling you dear, its dangerous. " she holds my hand and rubs it.

"As long as you stay by my side, I will manage." I tell her with a smile and she pulls me in a hug. I feel light and peaceful. It's true, mothers are a blessing.

I walk in my bedroom and head straight to the bathroom for shower. Its been a tough sunny day and I am already melting in sweat.

After being done, I put on my favourite pair of shalwar kameez and go downstairs. "Mom?" I call out as I walk in the kitchen to fetch myself a lunch. I find a note on the table. It says, "Out for groceries, will be home soon. Let's eat lunch together. "

I smile and fold the note again. I sit on the couch and scroll down messages on my phone. Thirteen messages from Haya, I suddenly feel bad for myself. She is so kind to message me every day and I haven't bothered to reply once. I am about to tap the call button to call her when my phone rings itself.

An unknown number shows up. It might be Mr. Salim calling for some purpose, a thought comes in my mind and I swipe to answer the call, "Hello?"

"It wasn't a wise thing to file a case against me. You have no idea what you've got yourself into." Danish's voice echoes over the phone. I feel fear rising in my bones, my fingers are already trembling.

"How..are..you calling..me?" I ask in a shaky voice. Danish laughs, "That shouldn't be your concern, Saba. Your concern should be your mother who is about to die. Expect a call from hospital real soon."

"DANISH!" I scream over the phone but the line disconnects.

No!!!!
*****